Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mortons has curing salt in every store I've ever been in. Its all pink for identification.

I already have Morton Tender Quick. It has 5% sodium nitrite, 5% sodium nitrate, sugar of some type, and the balance of salt and some other stuff for caking. What I want is pink curing salt #1 aka Prague Powder #1 which is 6.25% sodium nitrite and just salt for the balance. All the recipes I've seen say you only need a very small amount of it per pound and you can use however much or little kosher salt and sugar as you want after that. That will also nip the saltiness of our pastrami in the bud (I think).

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gottcha.
Check out the link to the place in Wichita. I'll bet they have it.
That place is amazing, they have EVERYTHING! Cheapest price I've seen on it too though it's not expensive stuff to begin with. This is exactly it and they say 1lb of it will process 480lbs of meat. This is it:

https://www.sausagemaker.com/insta-cure-no-1-1lb-p/11-1012.htm

ETA: They have a bunch of different flavored cures. That's pretty interesting right there. Already has the maple, sugar, etc.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you looked at https://www.bing.com/search?q=walto...s=n&sk=&cvid=45cbbfa401744b91d16419266018bc22
They have a store front in Wichita Ks. Good prices on spices, cures, and sausage making. Hi temp cheese is really reasonable.
I haven't made it into the store yet, but their meatgistics forum gets personal answers from the experts, and offers some good suggestions.

I've been to the store and it is a great place to lose yourself for a while. The folks there will talk BBQ and smoker pros/cons until the cows come home. The best thing for me is there is a quilt store just down the street that will keep the wife busy for a good period of time so I can just work my way through the BBQ place. Definitely worth the trip from Ponca to Wichita, IMO.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going thru the cabinet, making sure I have everything for a Thanksgiving turkey brine. I have been asked before if it makes a difference. To me it makes Huge different. IMO, the biggest plus is it changes the texture of the meat, makes it easier to chew. I hate an old stringy turkey, my teeth are rather worn from decades of nigh-time teeth grinding..

I've been been using this one for quite a few years.

Real easy, just mix the stuff up till boiling, let it cool, then toss it and a bird in a 5 gallon bucket. Keep in the refrig. for about 3 days.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going thru the cabinet, making sure I have everything for a Thanksgiving turkey brine. I have been asked before if it makes a difference. To me it makes Huge different. IMO, the biggest plus is it changes the texture of the meat, makes it easier to chew. I hate an old stringy turkey, my teeth are rather worn from decades of nigh-time teeth grinding..

I've been been using this one for quite a few years.

Real easy, just mix the stuff up till boiling, let it cool, then toss it and a bird in a 5 gallon bucket. Keep in the refrig. for about 3 days.
Brined turkey deep fried in oil is my favorite, but man does it splatter. When I put the turkey in the pot, I warm it up to 370 degrees or more, and turn the burners off so there is no chance of a boil over and fire.
When everything is good to go, relight the burners.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mortons has curing salt in every store I've ever been in. Its all pink for identification.
If you are talking about Morton Tender Quick. It's a totally different animal to use than Cure#1. Same principle but the measurements to get the proper PPM are WAY different.

I also recommend keeping TQ in a different location from your normal salt and leave it in the original bag because it's not pink like Cure #1.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay this may be the best low carb thing ever. If you like egg rolls but have to skip the carbs you have to try this. Easy to make and everyone that has tried it, loved it. Not my recipe but I wish it was. Would be great with deer, wild hog, or even turkey breakfast sausage. I use the premium pork sausage from Aldis.

SAUSAGE EGG ROLL IN A BOWL

Ingredients

1 pound ground pork or turkey breakfast sausage
6 cups coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon soy sauce or low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon sesame oil

Directions

Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the sausage and cook, stirring often to crumble, until cooked through. Do not drain.
Add the coleslaw mix, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce to the skillet with the sausage. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until cabbage has softened a bit. Longer if you like.
Remove from the heat and top with the green onions and drizzle with sesame oil.
Serve immediately by itself or over brown rice or pearled barley.

Egg Roll.jpg

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom