Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd try it. Might be too hot for me, but I'd give it a shot..
I made some from tabasco peppers I grew awhile back. About a pound of the peppers made 1/2 gallon of sauce when added with water and vinegar.
That stuff was so hot, I had to cut it like 3X to get it where you got the flavor, and heat, not just heat. Lasted forever too.
Store bought tabasco is so mild now, I've almost quit buying it.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made some from tabasco peppers I grew awhile back. About a pound of the peppers made 1/2 gallon of sauce when added with water and vinegar.

So I want to grow some of these..

kNTE5jS.jpg

And turn them into this..

Xje6m42.jpg

What's involved? I've never made pickled peppers..

I've got some experience with canning/hot water bath and made some cucumber pickles. Is there any cooking involved? Do you just throw the peppers in a jar of water/vinegar and seal em up?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I want to grow some of these..

kNTE5jS.jpg

And turn them into this..

Xje6m42.jpg

What's involved? I've never made pickled peppers..

I've got some experience with canning/hot water bath and made some cucumber pickles. Is there any cooking involved? Do you just throw the peppers in a jar of water/vinegar and seal em up?
You basically do the same as pickles in the hot water bath method. When I make dill pickles, or pickled green tomatoes, I'll halve a jalapeno pepper, and put half of it into the jar to add some light heat. If you like a lot of heat, add both halves.
The cook time and cool down period of the hot water batch is enough to give a crispy pepper.
I do love Peperoncini, but have never canned them. They are similar to the jalapenos in consistency so I'm thinking the example of the jalapeno in the pickles that turn out well would work for these as well.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Christmas Fruit Cake..

If you like em, this is a Good cake. More like an apple cake with candied fruit in it.

Made it for the umpteenth time today, very good.
Never could understand the aversion to fruitcake that some folks have. My late Mom (passed in '89) made one that was absolutely delicious IMO.

Admittedly though, I've not tasted its equal since. :/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom