Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rick, I made a cheap smoker out of a 3 drawer filing cabinet. Have a stainless colander in the bottom drawer to hold the charcoal and wood chips. Middle drawer holds a stainless bowl for any liquid. Top drawer has a stainless rack wired to the drawer to hold the meat. Installed a thermometer in the top drawer. No need to have any vents for the smoke outlet. It usually holds at around 220* which is perfect for what I use it for.

I think I have $10 invested in it (thermometer). Already had the stainless and found the filing cabinet on a 'big trash day'.

View attachment 181328

Nice but I need to make or buy one electric. I am on O2 and can not be around open flames. Polack go poof followed by lots of screaming. :P

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Request for help from OSA.
I need a substitute for Shiner beer to go in a beer bread recipe (see below).

I only need a couple of bottles of beer but all I can find in my Theater of Operations is 12 packs of Shiner and I don't drink the stuff.
In the past I found loose bottles of Shiner for sale at 7-Eleven but no dice this year.
Any sources for loose bottles of Shiner or a decent substitute? Can I just use any old "lager" beer instead?
Thanks.

Ingredients:
3 c. self-rising flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tsp. salt
1 egg
1 12-oz. Shiner beer (room temperature)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, sugar and salt; add beaten egg and Shiner beer. Beat about 17 strokes. (Do not over beat). Pour into greased 5-1/2 x 9-1/2" bread pan. Bake about one hour, or until done. Cool to slice. Makes one loaf.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@xseler
@dennishoddy
Would y'all care to share your chicken soup recipes?
Those are sounding good now that the weather is turning cooler.

I don't really have a recipe --- I just make it. However, here's what's in it

Chicken --- either a fresh cooked one or a roasted one from Sam's
Chicken broth --- 2 qts if using Sam's chicken. 1 qt if using the broth from the one you cook.
Granulated garlic to taste
Dill Weed to taste
Diced Onion or dried minced onion to taste
Thin sliced carrots
Diced fresh celery
No Yolk egg noodles --- if you want a thicker soup, cook the noodles in the
. . soup. For a thinner soup, cook the noodles seperately in water.
Salt & pepper --- I always add the salt and pepper as I serve the soup. More sodium friendly

The only time I measure anything is when I make bread.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If in a hurry I use the frozen egg noodles.
First we use a whole fresh fryer and boil in a stockpot until it comes apart easily to shred the meat.
After fishing out the meat, and straining any possible small bones we refrigerate overnight and skim off the chicken fat the next day.
Bring the chicken stock to a rolling boil and add noodles still frozen. Keep a wooden spoon handy to stir occasionally. The noodles will stick to the bottom if not stirred.
When the noodles are al dente add onions, celery and shredded carrots along with the shredded chicken.
Add garlic, salt and pepper. We use the prepared garlic in a jar or the powdered.
When serving the crushed red pepper is added to taste.
I don’t measure anything either. Just add, taste, adjust and repeat.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about back to the question to RickN by CHenry . I have been smoking for years and have 5 outdoor cooking devices, but now kinda getting into outdoor Cast Iron stuff to go along with that. Have my deceased Mom's old cast iron stuff I recently got back to pretty respectable condition. How about sharing the Cast Iron site you found to do the Mac and
Cheese to go along with my www.smokingmeatforums.com site for smoking anything. Yep, I am now using an electric smoker for the past 5-89 years and love it, easy and 98% as good of a product as my stick burner put out. thanks for sharing

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about back to the question to RickN by CHenry . I have been smoking for years and have 5 outdoor cooking devices, but now kinda getting into outdoor Cast Iron stuff to go along with that. Have my deceased Mom's old cast iron stuff I recently got back to pretty respectable condition. How about sharing the Cast Iron site you found to do the Mac and
Cheese to go along with my www.smokingmeatforums.com site for smoking anything. Yep, I am now using an electric smoker for the past 5-89 years and love it, easy and 98% as good of a product as my stick burner put out. thanks for sharing
I'll 2nd this I'd like to know too

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

It ks a Facebook group called Cast Iron Cooking. They have over 370,000 members so are very strict. No politics, cat videos, selling, insults, etc, etc. Only cast iron cooking, how to and recipes.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/castironskillet

Latest posts

Top Bottom