Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Propane I'm sure unless tapped into a NG line.

I'm gonna say here for all to hear, that our Treager was a mistake.
Expensive as hell, but it will only generate 425 degrees.
We use it almost daily, but as a smoker, it sucks. More of a convection oven vs a smoker.
The pellets generate no smoke. You have to buy some accessories to put pellets into, or go cheap, and use pellets wrapped in foil to generate smoke, and its not much. They only put smoke into the cooking chamber at the 375 degree heat level or more.
Searing is not gonna happen.
IMHO 600 degrees is the minimum to sear a steak.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're right, Dennis, the Traeger is really not a great "grill" or great for searing. I like a milder smoke on my low 'n' slow stuff like ribs and pork butts, so at the lower temps it works well for me. If you really put it down on the "smoke" setting, it works a bit better, but this runs at about 160F for me. And this is only recently, now that I've replaced both the firepot AND the controller - before, it wouldn't stay lit at anything below 225.

My neighbor has a stickburner, and it makes things a bit TOO smoky for me, honestly. I'm sure it's a preference built on experience, but at the same time, some of the heavier smoke stuff tears up my stomach - just like smoky Scotch! lol

I've had an Amaz'n'Tube in my Amazon cart for some time, to try out the extra smoke from it, but haven't pulled the trigger - too busy buying gun stuff, I think! lol

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_6628.JPG
Got some cooked

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
$19.99 at Harbor Freight..

I use it to burn weeds n stuff.

Exactly... I paid $30 because I got the one with the built-in igniter - which doesn't work. What a jip.

Anyways, it's pretty frigging awesome... I can't tell you how great it is. I'm not sure how long a tank of propane will last me, but honestly, I really don't care. I'll use it anyways, no matter what, I'm sure I'll get a good few sears out of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom