Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guyok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone is into baking but I made some cranberry bread last night

Turned out pretty tasty

Attachments

• D1DCB982-A0F0-43D6-B327-2DCD200891B1.jpeg
    D1DCB982-A0F0-43D6-B327-2DCD200891B1.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 164

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm totally good with wood based flame but the thought of a hydrocarbon based flame on my meat doesn't do anything for me.

Tastes fine. I have read if you use those little hanheld blowtorches, some of them can induce a slight butane-ish flavor. Yuck. However, with either my Searzall, or with this new flamethrower, I've used them multiple times and never had anything but seared meat flavor.

In fact, the guys from Sous Vide Everything on YouTube did a playoff-style challenge where they tried out something like 10 or 12 different searing methods, including the caveman sear directly on coals, the afterburner chimney sear on charcoal, cast iron skillet, the Weber charcoal grill, and even a $1200 searing oven and in the end, the flavor imparted by this flamethrower came in 1st place, with the Weber Slow'n'Sear I think coming in 2nd. They did this as a mostly blind taste test, too, BTW.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve cooked over a propane grill for many years. Never picked up any off tastes.
If I sear with my hand held, I use a MAPP gas cylinder. No odor causing chemicals added.
I do need to look at one of those flame throwers using the bulk bottle though.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve cooked over a propane grill for many years. Never picked up any off tastes.
If I sear with my hand held, I use a MAPP gas cylinder. No odor causing chemicals added.
I do need to look at one of those flame throwers using the bulk bottle though.

They're fun, and QUICK. OMG, I've been using it left and right. Yesterday I seared off some STL pork ribs. Made up a spicy bourbon BBQ glaze, coated 'em up and used the torch on 'em... it caramelized the sugar in no time, man. It was awesome. I know I am using a lot of gas, but hell, this thing is so much fun, and is so quick, I have picked up my Searzall since I bought this.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks pretty good! I've got a Prime brisket wet aging in the fridge right now, probably do that sometime next weekend.

Today, I've got a large pork loin in the sous vide at the moment, I'm experimenting a bit, so I did salt and rub on it, but also injected it with bacon grease, as well as put a few slices of bacon in the bag. Once it's done (about 7 hours at 140F), I'll put it on the grill and sear it with the flamethrower. Might post up some pics later. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom