Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're fun, and QUICK. OMG, I've been using it left and right. Yesterday I seared off some STL pork ribs. Made up a spicy bourbon BBQ glaze, coated 'em up and used the torch on 'em... it caramelized the sugar in no time, man. It was awesome. I know I am using a lot of gas, but hell, this thing is so much fun, and is so quick, I have picked up my Searzall since I bought this.
I use mine for cleaning the smoker as well. I know there are people who turn their nose up at cleaning a smoker. But my meats get a funny taste if that thing isn't cleaned regular. I suggest removing the thermometer if you're gonna use this to clean.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use mine for cleaning the smoker as well. I know there are people who turn their nose up at cleaning a smoker. But my meats get a funny taste if that thing isn't cleaned regular. I suggest removing the thermometer if you're gonna use this to clean.
Eh, I don't use the metal thermometers mounted in the lids.

I just got a new iGrill2 I won in a contest, but I'm really looking at getting the Fireboard Extreme.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been wanting to try this for some time. Finally did.

BAM!
IMG_5455.JPG

Came out perfect.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you make your own bacon? Tell us your process... you cured the pork belly, then smoked it or what?
Correct. All of it.

I made up a cure with InstaCure #1 from https://www.sausagemaker.com/ (thanks @dennishoddy)
I had a 5.5lb pork belly so the cure was:
1 tsp IC#1
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup real maple syrup
2 TBS ground black pepper

Mix all that into a slop
Rinse and pat dry the belly and place in a 2 gallon ziplock freezer bag.
Slather it all over the belly in the bag, seal it up and work it around to coat it all.

Put in fridge for 1 day per 1/4" of thickness + 2days (I went 8 days)
Turn it every day and redistribute the "juice" that is produced each and every day. Don't pour it out! That's the brine that does the curing. What it is is the moisture the cure and salt pulls out of the belly.

After 7 to 10 days remove and rinse the heck out of it in cold water. Pat dry. Slice off a thin piece and fry it up. Taste for saltiness. If too salty put in clean cold water and soak an hour or two. Retest. Change water and re-soak as needed.

When you have the salt level to your taste put it back in the fridge uncovered, on a rack for 8 to 48 hours to form a pellicle. (this part is optional but it supposedly helps the smoke adhere better)

Cold smoke or hot smoke. I hot smoked (indirect) to an internal temp of 150 degrees. Took about 3 hours at 200 on my BGE.

Take off and let cool down and throw it back in the fridge for several hours or overnight.

Slice to your preference. The colder the bacon is, the easier it slices.

Notes:

1) This seems like a lot of work. It's really not. It just takes days of setting in the fridge to let the magic happen. It's actually pretty dang easy and I don't know why more people don't make their own. I can't recall anyone in my family ever making their own bacon, hams, etc. and my grandparents on both side were canning maniacs. They gardened, canned, and baked. But no meat curing.

2) On the InstaCure #1. Most recipes call for 2tsp. per 5lbs of meat. The package called for 1 which is what I used. I suspect that most published recipes have a CYA factor built into them. The curing salt contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and this isn't something to play with. 8oz of this stuff will cure 240lbs of meat. Measure it accurately and weigh the meat you are curing. Do this part right or you can poison yourself if using too much or give yourself food poisoning if you use too little. All other things you have leeway on but do this part right.

3) Again most recipes that I saw called for 1/2 cup of salt. I cut it in half. Turned out perfect with no "after soak".

4) Add in any other spices you wish to the cure. The basic cure is InstaCure #1, Salt, and sugar. Keep the salt/sugar ratio pretty close, everything after that is up to you, you can go wherever you want with it. Maple syrup, garlic, thyme, your imagination is the limit. In my next batch I'm putting some expresso powder.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome! Try some with Bourbon as well. I got the idea from Ree Drummond's whisky cream sauce.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/whiskey-cream-sauce-recipe-2119079
Try it once, and you will be hooked.
I did some Elk bacon awhile back. I didn't fry a sample piece, and it came out way to salty.
Anybody trying this needs to remember this critical step. Reference how to reduce the salty taste ^^^^^^^.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Started some elk jerky today.
Marinated in 1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup teriyaki sauce, 1/2 cup Worcester sauce, 1 Tbs of liquid smoke.
Let soak for an hour and put on the racks.
Then sprinkled the spices on.
c4f2f41e4ebf62773a09f93c4849c4ce.jpg

8c757c3cf11657c38663eb7b5e26c843.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom