Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only put salt, pepper and garlic on mine. But I'm talking this had NOTHING. Not even salt. I'm sorry, I'm a meat eater, but meat needs salt. Period. I can't think of a meat that doesn't.

<edit> Oh, and I can't stand grass-fed beef. At least, I mean, those not grain-fed prior to slaughter. Damn hippies and tree-huggers can have all the "grass-fed" stuff they want.

I’m not a fan of dry grilled meat either. One of the more popular restaurants in my area puts a good steak with zero seasoning on a flat grill then puts a plate of steel on that. Always comes out medium well or worse with no juice even when ordered rare.
They do pork chops the same way. So, I never order steaks or chops, preferring the smoked prime rib that is one of the best I’ve had.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welp, the marinade was fine, but the steak itself was tougher than I like. Choice Cut Rib Eye ... me arse. I usually just use a little of the Maldon Salt Flakes and a medium grind Black Pepper. And yes, grain fed beef is on top of grass fed. I want to say that I usually buy meat from The Chef Store down off I-240 in the bulk pack and cut my own steaks from that. Now don’t get confused and equate this to cheap .22 ammo, please. The tenderloin is especially good, and averages about 13.50 per lb when bought in a bulk package of like 8-9 lbs. that sure beats buying it at the local market for 18.50 or more per!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welp, the marinade was fine, but the steak itself was tougher than I like. Choice Cut Rib Eye ... me arse. I usually just use a little of the Maldon Salt Flakes and a medium grind Black Pepper. And yes, grain fed beef is on top of grass fed. I want to say that I usually buy meat from The Chef Store down off I-240 in the bulk pack and cut my own steaks from that. Now don’t get confused and equate this to cheap .22 ammo, please. The tenderloin is especially good, and averages about 13.50 per lb when bought in a bulk package of like 8-9 lbs. that sure beats buying it at the local market for 18.50 or more per!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try the Butcher Block in Newcastle. Chuck Eye is dang near as good there as Rib Eye and a lot less $$. That's my go to place for good meats.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sous vide up a pork loin on friday (3 hours at 133°). Threw it in the fridge until sunday when i started up the weber and brought it back up to temp with a couple of bit of apple wood before searing.

I really like this method, especially if you space the sous vide out to a day or two before. That way it really only feels like 'one step' in terms of what you're actually doing for meal prep that day.

IMG_0176.jpg IMG_0177.JPG

going to throw a pork butt into the pot here in a couple of hours and let it go for 48 hours @ 150° for some cuban lechon

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got the weekend off, I need to think of something to cook...

I really need to take The Wife out for a night of drinks and relaxing this week, too. She's been killing herself lately with all the charity work and taking care of me and The Boy and the house. Plus, with an upcoming 75% paycut it'll probably be a few months before we get to do it again. lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did the Sous Vide' on a prime ribeye last night with a side of Ahi Tuna and wasabi for surf and turf.
Seared them with a Mapp gas torch. It actually came out pretty awesome. Mapp gas is hotter than propane. Steak a perfect MR at 126 degrees, and the Tuna rare.
I love wasabi, and what they serve in restaurants is pretty hot, but it doesn't hold a candle to the stuff I bought in a tube like toothpaste. Don't remember where I bought it but that stuff is so hot you just wave your fork over the fumes to get all the heat you can stand. LOL.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cuban pork turned out pretty good. Cooked for 50 hours at 150° after spending 24 hours in the marinade. I'd probably cook it with the marinade next time, but we were worried it'd be too strong.

only issues i had was that it was almost too tender to sear. Well, that and being in charge of the grill and the 2 year old at the same time meant some divided attention. But i am impressed with how tender it came out after the long cook. As you can see, it came off the grill in chunks because it was falling apart.

Tempted to try some pulled pork with this method. Low (low!) smoke for a few hours, into the bag for 48 hours and then a quick sear.

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 106

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best steak marinade.
50/50 - soy sauce and garlic wine vinegar (pour on till it puddles in the pan
Garlic powder
ground black pepper
sprinkle of sugar
Salt if you like
For a tougher cut of meat, marinade longer to tenderize (6-8 hours) - the vinegar will turn a tougher sirloin tender and take the game outa a deer steak
For a good ribeye I marinade only about 2 hours.
Most of what your getting is tenderization and a little added flavor, still plenty of "meat" flavor.
Just try it once...you maybe hooked
I have fed deer steaks to people who claim to "not like deer" and they raved about it - never knew it was deer until I told them afterwards.
Where do you get the garlic wine vinegar? Never even heard of it. I'll give this a go, it sounds good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom