Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With a few dashes of tobasco scattered around.
Yep "1shott," those biscuits and gravy look good, and I also like a few dashes of Tobasco along with it as posted. I make sausage gravy up and freeze in muffin tins to pop out and put in zip bags to keep frozen and pull out with a frozen biscuit in the microwave for a quick breakfast. Guess it is ingrained in me from when I was a little kid to not waste and throw food away. So if I wind up with too much milk getting old in the frig, I thaw a pound of sausage and use it up adding part of a new container of milk if needed to fill my big fry skillet to make sausage gravy.

I first fry my sausage, and add about a half cup of chopped sweet onions in as it is browning to saute them. If you have not tried onions in your white sausage gravy, it might be worth trying. I got that "tip" from a lady who worked at a great breakfast restaurant years ago.

Also, I am an old dog learning new tricks recently. I had been making gravy for years and had always fried and then dumped the sausage to the side to start out browning flour with the grease to make my ruex and then when bubbly brown, start adding milk, then the sausage.

No more. When the sausage and onion are lightly browned, dump a half to 3/4 cup of flour in and start stirring, I might need to add additional oil to brown it with the sausage. It browns slower and is easier to get it "just right" before adding the milk. It also is less clean up using just one pan. JMO Thanks to everyone for sharing. Like everyone here, we like to shoot and eat. Ha

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you, your wife, or anyone you might cook for likes orange chicken, give this stuff a try. I found it at the Super Cao Nguyen in OKC. Lee Kum Kee brand orange chicken sauce. You can also buy it off amazon if you like, a 6 pack for $18 sounds about like what I paid at the store. https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Kum-Kee-...99&sprefix=lee+kum+lee+orange+,aps,106&sr=8-1
E7D013EC-26AC-4BFD-8D8A-D6F3873685D8.jpeg

Chop up some chicken breast, hit it with a generous helping of cornstarch, make sure everyone is coated evenly. Fry in 50/50 olive/sesame oil, or whatever you like.
70F63348-F807-4756-A92A-83E183411802.jpeg

Make sure you are quick about it, it’s easy to overcook them little pieces of chicken. I do mine in batches
B9CF8DC9-DF8D-4DF9-9114-8912EE3B7B0E.jpeg

Pour out the oil, scrape out the pan, throw it back on the stove. Pour sauce into pan on high heat. Once it starts warming up (usually a few seconds) throw your chicken in, turn down heat, toss until coated. Serve immediately on rice. Orange chicken is pretty flavorful/powerful stuff, so I like to even it out with some nice fragrant jasmine rice. If you did it right, you’ll have hot, crispy chicken covered in that delicious sauce. It’s way better than Panda Express, you can actually taste the orange, and there’s no high fructose corn syrup! Way easy, makes you look like a pro and did a ton of work. I forgot to get some, but you could add in a step, and sauté some peppers and onions before pouring the sauce and chicken into the pan.
0B47FE2B-A66C-44AD-A84C-734E7E811EE4.jpeg

Attachments

• 10F9FFE1-21DF-4A0C-9A20-A4472234F9E1.jpeg
    10F9FFE1-21DF-4A0C-9A20-A4472234F9E1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, that looks so good HoLeChit. Made me decide that, weather wise, it was long past time to whip something together.

Figured that nothing beats a cold day like homemade chili to go along with a slab of fresh baked corn bread 🤗

View attachment 331317
View attachment 331318
I have some chili cooking away as we speak for dinner! Gonna serve it with some cornbread baked in my beloved griswald corn bread pan.
D7764BA3-B371-4CC7-BCE4-1F7273D50D10.jpeg
36CF9C72-8ABE-4ED1-AEB6-8C54153EEE1F.jpeg
2C0291D1-23D0-4FD5-A6B7-FBE8A33C916E.jpeg

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you, your wife, or anyone you might cook for likes orange chicken, give this stuff a try. I found it at the Super Cao Nguyen in OKC. Lee Kum Kee brand orange chicken sauce. You can also buy it off amazon if you like, a 6 pack for $18 sounds about like what I paid at the store. https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Kum-Kee-Artificial-Cholesterol/dp/B005HGRWF8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=lee+kum+kee+orange+chicken+sauce&qid=1671658599&sprefix=lee+kum+lee+orange+,aps,106&sr=8-1 View attachment 331293

Chop up some chicken breast, hit it with a generous helping of cornstarch, make sure everyone is coated evenly. Fry in 50/50 olive/sesame oil, or whatever you like. View attachment 331292
Make sure you are quick about it, it’s easy to overcook them little pieces of chicken. I do mine in batches View attachment 331295
Pour out the oil, scrape out the pan, throw it back on the stove. Pour sauce into pan on high heat. Once it starts warming up (usually a few seconds) throw your chicken in, turn down heat, toss until coated. Serve immediately on rice. Orange chicken is pretty flavorful/powerful stuff, so I like to even it out with some nice fragrant jasmine rice. If you did it right, you’ll have hot, crispy chicken covered in that delicious sauce. It’s way better than Panda Express, you can actually taste the orange, and there’s no high fructose corn syrup! Way easy, makes you look like a pro and did a ton of work. I forgot to get some, but you could add in a step, and sauté some peppers and onions before pouring the sauce and chicken into the pan. View attachment 331294
Nice Batch

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you wondered if it's possible to make burnt ends out if the flat of the brisket like the point, it is, just time consuming and lots of baby sitting. Worth it though! The point burnt ends melt in your mouth, the flat burnt ends almost melt in your mouth so it was a success.
View attachment 331596
YUM!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom