Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a fan of cooked red onions. Yellow and white, good to go.
That being said, had some pickled red onions on a meat/cheese/ veggies/ appetizer today that was pretty good. Going to play with that to see if a quick pickle works or a traditional is required

Use your vacuum sealer like you would for sous vide. I watch the cooking show "Chopped" alot - in fact, it's about the only show I've watched in months - and the contestants quite frequently use the vacuum sealer to institute a quick pickling of veggies (especially red onions) in 10-15 minutes or so, and get good reviews from the judges.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a 14.5lb brisket on since about 4PM, had to cut in half to fit into my Smoke-it #2 electric with 16 inch square racks, would not quite fit diagonal. I smoke everything at 225', my modified version of a Texas rub, hickory chunks small enough to fit in the tray. Set it and forget it smoking except for throwing in three or four small fresh chunks about two hours into the smoke to keep it going (it has very low airflow) because I like things smokier than most people.

Flat part hit the 172 stall early, larger end was about an hour behind. Temp started down on the flat, 168, so for me it tells me This chunk of meat is going to be a long stall. Still deciding to foil later or not, humidity is pretty high, so I might not. I like a lot of bark. Going to try something different that I have had great success with making fall off the bone 9 hour ribs.

I usually start poking for tenderness about 200 - 203 or so. When I think it is done, I am going to foil them and turn down to 175 and hold for a couple hours or more before resting in the cooler. I suspect it will not be much different than putting in a cooler for 3-4 or so hours still holding a hot temp, but we like to experiment, Ya Know? It might give me some additional "nap time" if I need it also. I hope it does not turn out too mushy. Is that an oxymoron, too mushy brisket? Ha Ha

I will post back tomorrow on my "Extended Stay" Brisket.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, I think that sounds like a great plan. The BBQ forum I frequent has debated this subject ad nauseum and there's really not a "wrong" way to do it, but the method you're describing is a strong favorite for many members.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just had a Sous Vide London broil with mushrooms, and onions.
steak.jpg

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 14.5 lb brisket turned out great. It had the longest stall I have ever experienced, almost 8 hours, saw it down 5' at one time. I had it in my 225' smoker 26 hours to get it to 200' but it poked well everywhere. Because of the long time, I held it at 175' about two hours more, then 3 hours in the cooler. Still very hot to my fingers slicing (should have cked the temp then but forgot) Very tender and very moist with good relatively soft bark without wrapping until it went into the cooler. It was humid outside. I will try the same again next time but I hope it will not be a 31 hour ordeal like this one. That was insane.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wowzers. Hard to predict that and sure as hell hard to plan a BBQ! Glad it turned out well, though. I need to do another brisket soon, been wanting to try this Black Ops rub I bought.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 14.5 lb brisket turned out great. It had the longest stall I have ever experienced, almost 8 hours, saw it down 5' at one time. I had it in my 225' smoker 26 hours to get it to 200' but it poked well everywhere. Because of the long time, I held it at 175' about two hours more, then 3 hours in the cooler. Still very hot to my fingers slicing (should have cked the temp then but forgot) Very tender and very moist with good relatively soft bark without wrapping until it went into the cooler. It was humid outside. I will try the same again next time but I hope it will not be a 31 hour ordeal like this one. That was insane.

That was a pretty wild cook. Longest I had one go was 22 hours. It was a 15 pounder (before trimming).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom