Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DAC8C80A-3C06-435F-8F7E-35F2A80C9250.jpeg

Father’s Day dinner

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a cook...

...is brisket always that fatty?

Yup, usually a big thick fat cap on it, so you trim away a lot. I had a Prime 14lb brisket and I trimmed it REALLY close, I mean much closer than most people do - I think I got over 4 lbs of fat off it. That is fine if you keep it to make something with it - mix it in ground beef, maybe use it for frying stuff, etc., but it IS a lot of wasted weight you are paying for.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, usually a big thick fat cap on it, so you trim away a lot. I had a Prime 14lb brisket and I trimmed it REALLY close, I mean much closer than most people do - I think I got over 4 lbs of fat off it. That is fine if you keep it to make something with it - mix it in ground beef, maybe use it for frying stuff, etc., but it IS a lot of wasted weight you are paying for.
I saved the fat for mixing with venison over the years.
I prefer pork fat for venison/elk now, but quit buying the brisket. I can get pork fat for cheap at the butcher.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I don't buy prime unless there is a sale and the price is right which seems to be never these days.

I also trim mine down and take most all of it off. There's plenty of fat content throughout the brisket, I never understood this whole "the more fat the better" thing anyway. But the fat cap just keeps the rub and smoke out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom