Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's an experiment today. Prime brisket aged about 7 weeks (maybe as much as 9 depending on accuracy of packing date), trimmed, salted, seasoned/rubbed, then smoked super low for 3 hours, vacuum sealed and has been in the sous vide now for about 42 hours at 144°F.

I'll take it out, rapidly chill it down, then dry it off, add some rub again and toss it back in the smoker around 350°F for 2-3 hours to get some more smoke and set the bark.

It should be incredible.... teeth optional, is my guess!
Dang..

Bologna would be a shock to your system,..you'd probably die..

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's an experiment today. Prime brisket aged about 7 weeks (maybe as much as 9 depending on accuracy of packing date), trimmed, salted, seasoned/rubbed, then smoked super low for 3 hours, vacuum sealed and has been in the sous vide now for about 42 hours at 144°F.

I'll take it out, rapidly chill it down, then dry it off, add some rub again and toss it back in the smoker around 350°F for 2-3 hours to get some more smoke and set the bark.

It should be incredible.... teeth optional, is my guess!

Hey!!! I could go with teeth or without. I wonder if "without" would let one experience more flavor?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hehe... well, it's pulled out of the water bath and back in the smoker now. It sure looks good, it's nice and moist, soft, not really got "the jiggle" since I chilled it down, but now that it's back in the heat, I think it'll jiggle just fine in a bit. I imagine I'll pull it off soon... I'm going to go check the temp just to see how it's doing.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I have a pair of Joules I use for sous vide. I like the WiFi thing and mine were out before Anova added WiFi. I have used the Anova before (my neighbor has one) and it works quite well, also.

The brisket was awesome. I will probably not do the second smoke next time, just take it out and sear it with the flamethrower when the time comes. The edges of the flat got a little crispy on the second smoke, which was at 350°F to try to set the bark. The bark came out great. I probably didn't ice it enough, so the internal temp was a little inconsistent, even though I only left it on there for probably a little over an hour and a half. The thinner edge of the flat wasn't dry, but it wasn't juicy, it was good, though. Great flavor, tender as can be, passed the bend test with flying colors and the pull test as well.

I would say the flat came as as good as I have ever seen on any traditional smoked brisket, while the rest was incredibly moist, juicy, tender, and flavorful - I definitely will be doing this again! Overall a great learning experience with sous vide brisket, and it got devoured by my guests. There is only a very tiny amount left, less than a pound overall, I would bet. Beginning weight was just under 15lb before trimming.

I don't know if I got any pics - The Wife did run some video when I was slicing, I'll have to look on my phone later and see if I can get something usable out of it! lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m kind of out and about presently and have been trying some different cooking techniques.
Someone mentioned about the indirect method of stacks of charcoal briquettes in a circle around the grill with the meat in the middle, so I thought I’d give it a shot.
Cheap Walmart 12 burger size grill that’s portable. Two rows of briquettes.
Started at 5pm with some boneless pork country style ribs. By regulating the air flow, I maintained a 250 degree temp until we couldn’t take it any longer and took them off to eat at 8pm.
They looked awesome, and tender but not pulled pork tender.
Remarkably the ring of coals was only 1/3 burned. I think it could go for 6-7 hours.
Pic is of the start and the second is one hour into it. Its still cooking at 250 for 5 hours now.

674ae475b16b9a2fce51e84f5ecfd420.jpg

04782507db22344ddd257c93cfe00848.jpg

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer my ribs to have just a little bit of chew to them. Still tender, but I don't want them falling off of the bone on their own accord.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree, these were boneless country style ribs.
In competition BBQ, fall off the bone tender will cost you points. The ribs should just be pulling away from the bone at the edges, and still have a little chew.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely. However, when I cook them falling off the bone, everyone at home raves over them... so... what do the BBQ judges know, amiright??? lol

I liken it to TV and movie critics... they often LOVE movies I can't farging stand, like The Hours or whatever. They will pan movies we find incredibly entertaining.

So... eff it, do what ya like! lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom