Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Café Kacao on Classen at about NW 32nd street. Awesome Latin American Style Food, mostly Guatemalan. And let me tell you, Mama Veronica can flat cook. Try the Cuban Omelet, or the Chimichanga with Carne Asada. Best dang omelet you ever thrung a lip over. The chimichanga is about the size of your head. The Cuban Omelet is piled with some delicious kind of beef; tender, yum-o-licious beef. And some kinda Guatemalan cheese. And eggs, and black beans and mostly... just tastes great! You MUST use the "No Wait App" if you want any hope of getting a seat, on a weekend especially. The place is a dive, but has the best food around. If you (my wife loves them) like fancy coffee-like drinks, they do the best. I have broken down and had a foo-foo one myself a time or two, (don't tell nobody okay?) but their plain old Guatemalan Coffee is some good Joe all in itself. Makes a dump like Scarbucks look like...well, a dump. We go here to pig out about once a week.

That definitely sounds like my kind of place... may have to check that out. Maybe when we are in OKC before we fly out in Nov. I gotta make myself a note...

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Café Kacao on Classen at about NW 32nd street. Awesome Latin American Style Food, mostly Guatemalan. And let me tell you, Mama Veronica can flat cook. Try the Cuban Omelet, or the Chimichanga with Carne Asada. Best dang omelet you ever thrung a lip over. The chimichanga is about the size of your head. The Cuban Omelet is piled with some delicious kind of beef; tender, yum-o-licious beef. And some kinda Guatemalan cheese. And eggs, and black beans and mostly... just tastes great! You MUST use the "No Wait App" if you want any hope of getting a seat, on a weekend especially. The place is a dive, but has the best food around. If you (my wife loves them) like fancy coffee-like drinks, they do the best. I have broken down and had a foo-foo one myself a time or two, (don't tell nobody okay?) but their plain old Guatemalan Coffee is some good Joe all in itself. Makes a dump like Scarbucks look like...well, a dump. We go here to pig out about once a week.

Tried these folks out for lunch today! Had the Carne Asada !! Food was good, but have to say I like my chips and salsa and this place does not do that!! Service was great...... Not sure what a plantain is but fried ones are decent!!

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're those green things that look like bananas in the grocery store... :D

Yes sir , I googled it up and found all sorts of good stuff about them!! Have definitely seen them in the store and had no interest in a green naner LOL........... My have to broaden ye old horizon and look at adding them to the okierider on the menu list!!! Thinking they may go nice with a spicey rack o ribs!!!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes sir , I googled it up and found all sorts of good stuff about them!! Have definitely seen them in the store and had no interest in a green naner LOL........... My have to broaden ye old horizon and look at adding them to the okierider on the menu list!!! Thinking they may go nice with a spicey rack o ribs!!!
I've never had 'em, but a family member said to never eat them raw, unless you want to spend a lot of time on the porcelain throne... :D

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had 'em, but a family member said to never eat them raw, unless you want to spend a lot of time on the porcelain throne... :D
That was not mentioned on the google foo search but they did say ya need to cook em LOL. I will keep your family member words of wisdom in mind! Thanks:cool:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last week I made a big ol' batch of bacon chocolate chip cookies. They went over well at the office.

20180926_230132-XL.jpg

This weekend I made a sugar-free, gluten free pound cake which I topped with a sugar-free lemon mascarpone curd, sliced strawberries and a sugar free plum compote.

It was pretty good. No pics of that one, sorry.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last week I made a big ol' batch of bacon chocolate chip cookies. They went over well at the office.
Hehe... my wife use to make all sorts of yeast breads (brown 'n' serve rolls, doughnuts, cinnamon rolls, etc.).

I was working in the shop one day, and she brought out a pan of fresh doughnuts (shop is only 75ft or so from the house). I wiped my hands and took a big bite out of one... and got a big surprise. :shocked:

She had ran short on cooking oil, and made up the difference with bacon grease. And didn't mention it until I had taken a bite.

They were delicious, just not what I was expecting. I'm guessin' the look on my face was priceless... :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

20180926_230132-XL.jpg

This weekend I made a sugar-free, gluten free pound cake which I topped with a sugar-free lemon mascarpone curd, sliced strawberries and a sugar free plum compote.

It was pretty good. No pics of that one, sorry.
Substitute honey for sugar?

Latest posts

Top Bottom