Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little something to get your in good with your wife. A low carb / calorie chocolate chip cooking that taste good.

I used Truvia Brown Sugar Blend and dark chocolate chips to lower the carbs even more, but you can use your favorite brown sugar sub and chips.

I spread the dough out in a 10" cast iron skillet I sprayed with butter Crisco cooking spray and baked for 19 minutes. I think next time I will bake for 25 minutes to try for a crispier cookie.

Ingredients

1/2 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup Truvia Brown Sugar Blend packed or your favorite brown sugar sub.
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted & cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla (or vanilla bean paste)
heaping 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease a 10" cast iron skillet. I use Butter tasting Crisco spray
In a bowl, combine coconut flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
Add in eggs, butter, vanilla and chocolate chips.
Combine until a dough forms.
Pour into skillet and flatten as much as you can to cover the bottom of the skillet.
Bake for 19 minutes for a softer cookie, up to 25 for a crunchy cookie.

Cookie 1.jpg Cookie 2.jpg Cookie 3.jpg

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cook in cast iron a lot and am a member of a CI cooking group on Facebook, one that Jeffry B. Rogers belongs to if that tells you anything. I am not an expert or a collector but I listen when they talk. (read when they type :P )

The type of oil you use for seasoning is strictly a personal choice but do not use Flax seed oil as it will flake off. I use Crisco on most of my skillets and a cooking spray on things like corn stick pans. For cooking it depends on what I am making, reverse sear a steak = butter. Saute some fresh or frozen veggies = pure olive oil. Over easy eggs = bacon grease. Lots of different options and lots of different opinions. Use what works for you.

A member here gave me some ground venison so I will be working up some recipes to share soon. Venison meatloaf, etc.

Oh and when seasoning make sure you get it hot enough for long enough. For most oils and fats, 450 degrees for an hour works well.

View attachment 127896

Looks like you need to upgrade to a Wolf or Thermador 6 or 8 burner range!

Woody

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ground beef and Bambi meatloaf!

Undeg01 gave me a few pounds of ground venison (thanks again) and never having used it in a meatloaf I had to try. I know venison is a lot leaner than beef so to prevent it burning or being dry I mixed it with ground beef. As it was my first attempt I used 1 lb 85/15 beef and 1/2 lb venison. It still burnt on the bottom a little. I think for this ratio beef to venison 80/20 beef would be a better choice and if you wanted 1/2 and 1/2 maybe 73% lean.

Anyway outside of the venison I used my regular meatloaf recipe and it tasted great.
1-1/2 lbs meat,
1 cup dry oatmeal,
Chopped onion to taste.
2 eggs,
splash of Worcester sauce,
big splash of picante sauce,
big squeeze of ketchup.
Sprinkle of Morton's Nature Seasoning.

Mix by hand until meat is wet with ketchup.
Pack into side of dish and top with more ketchup.
Add veggies to dish and bake at 425 for 1 hour 15 minutes. Enjoy.

Oh, the veggies are onion, carrots, diced sweet potato, and a drained can of green beans, more seasoning.

Meatloaf.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ground beef and Bambi meatloaf!

Undeg01 gave me a few pounds of ground venison (thanks again) and never having used it in a meatloaf I had to try. I know venison is a lot leaner than beef so to prevent it burning or being dry I mixed it with ground beef. As it was my first attempt I used 1 lb 85/15 beef and 1/2 lb venison. It still burnt on the bottom a little. I think for this ratio beef to venison 80/20 beef would be a better choice and if you wanted 1/2 and 1/2 maybe 73% lean.

Next time you try ground venison, mix it with ground pork. I like to grind 50/50 with some of the .99 cents a pound pork butts or the cheap pork chops that have lots of fat.
When the trendy folks do this with beef/pork they call it Boston Burger. We prefer the venison to beef in the mix. We actually use elk instead of deer.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hatch Early Mood Food in OKC

On about 10th and Broadway, Automobile Alley. If you haven’t been there for breakfast, well you oughta go. If you didn’t get the Orange Croissants to start, well you oughta get them. And chicken fried steak. Holy Cow it was good. Use the Nowait app or stand in line for a long time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Making snack sticks today. Did 15 pounds so far.
Here is a 10 lb pile. This is a spicy German sausage mix with mozzarella and cheddar hi temp cheese in the mix.
Did 5 lbs of spicy bratwurst next, with cheddar cheese.
Already did 10 lbs of Philadelphia cheese steak seasoning in casings yesterday. 10 more pounds to go that will go in casings that is a southwest spice mix.

84257a4ea1add1001ef363a932805718.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom