Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Made another big batch of Kimchi tonight

View attachment 132331

Kimchi may taste good, however, I just can't get past the smell......well, at least what I've been exposed to.

Tri-tip is the 'brisket' of California! Could never find brisket when we lived out there, but tri-tip was everywhere.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made 5 racks of ribs yesterday. Total fail, they were terribly overcooked and literally falling apart, couldn't even cut them into ribs, they just shredded as I tried to cut them.

I suck. :(

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kimchi may taste good, however, I just can't get past the smell......well, at least what I've been exposed to.

Tri-tip is the 'brisket' of California! Could never find brisket when we lived out there, but tri-tip was everywhere.

It's best if you get it at a Korean restaurant then lol. Ya the smell is horrible. After about two weeks of fermentation and then sitting in the fridge for a day or two, it goes way down.

One of my fishing buddies is from the west coast and had his butcher cut one for fishing trip a few years ago. Garlic, pepper, little salt and some good red wine for marinate. We have been getting them every trip now. My wife was really impressed with it too. I think that cut was 15-16 dollars maybe? Fed 3 of us and left overs for at least 2 work lunches.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have this:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791S2VCW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I would appreciate any recipe.
Kimchie is good when you make it right.

I have used a bunch of different recipes, but kinda made my own based off a few I liked and a buddies Korean MIL.

This batch does 4 large jars packed tight and 1 small almost:

1. Two heads of Napa Cabbage chopped into 2x2 pieces.
2. Two bundles of green onions chopped 2" long
3. One to two pounds of daikon or Korean Radish chopped into 2" sticks about 1/4" thick
4. 3 tablespoons of garlic puree
5. 3 tablespoons of ginger ger puree
6. 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
7. 2 Korean apple pears pureed. You can also use a pear and an apple but they must be pureed
8. Korean Red Pepper flakes. This is your choice on how hot. I use 5 tablespoons in a big batch and it's hot but not too bad. Maybe jalapeno hot. Use as much as you want to get the best heat you're looking for. I think 5 on a big batch, matches what I've had around here at Korean restaurants. You have to use the real stuff here. Don't use regular pepper flakes. I get these are Amazon or from the Korean grocery store. One bag will last forever and it's only 10 or so dollars.
91DA8IcRrWL._SY679_.jpg

Put the cabbage into a large bowl and cover with water. Pour a 1/4 cup of salt in and mix well. Let sit for 2 hours. This kills any bacteria.

Put your garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, fish sauce and apple/pear puree in a bowl and mix well.

After 2 hours, triple rinse your cabbage that has been soaking. This gets rid of the salt so it's not so salty. Let it drain and get as much water off as you can. Your call on how salty you want it. Some people don't rense it. I do and always have. Just make sure to get as much water off as you can.

Trick I learned next. You're going to combine the cabbage, onions, daikon and wet puree mixed all together. Layer it in the bowl like a lasagna. This makes it easier to mix. Glove up and mix it all together well. Make sure everything is covered in goo. Take your time on this and get it all covered in your goo. Gloving up keeps your hands from smelling like fish sauce.

Put in jars, clean, cap and close tight. Keep it at room temperature. I keep mine in the back office. You want to have somewhere dark thats room temp. I use the dark jars for when my lights on and kill the light while I'm not in there. You will have to bleed the pressure off everyday or it will blow the top off the lids. Seriously, you have to bleed it off or it will blow the jar lids open. When you bleed the pressure, it will smell like a dog shat right on table man. I mean it stinks to hell, but it is supposed to.

I typically let it ferment for 2 weeks. One week, it's really good and semi sour. 2 weeks it's damn good and more sour. I like 2 weeks. After two weeks, put the jars in the fridge. It will keep for a month or two. Maybe longer, but I never let it last that long. Once in the fridge, the fermentation slows way down. I have never had to bleed the pressure off once it's in the fridge.

I've been using the above method for awhile now and am sticking with it. I've tweaked it to how I like it. I give this to guys at work and they love it to death. If you want to make less, just adjust your ingredients to fit. If you love the stuff, you will end up eating it on everything.

Good luck and let me know how well you like it.

Last edited:

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If yer tryin' to get sympathy for falling-off-the-bone ribs, ya should probably look somewhere else... :D
:drunk2:

Nope. I’m with TR.
I like my ribs with a bit of a snap to them - bites clean off the bone.
The way God intended.

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If yer tryin' to get sympathy for falling-off-the-bone ribs, ya should probably look somewhere else... :D
:drunk2:
Nope. I’m with TR.
I like my ribs with a bit of a snap to them - bites clean off the bone.
Alrighty then. If anyone in my area has ribs that are too tender, please let me know and I'll take 'em off your hands.

No charge, just happy to help. :drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom