Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My late mother was a fantastic cook and she used to work around a few Filipinas and they showed her how to make a dish called pancit. (pronounced pawn sit). That was a dish that I hadn't had for a long time and I remembered it very fondly, but I was somewhat hesitant to make it for fear that I'd mess up.

The other day, a shipment of what are called bean threads and rice sticks (very thin rice noodles) arrived so I decided to embark upon the adventure. Carrots and celery were very thinly sliced, and some green onions were cut, and some frozen chicken breast was tenderized and a ham steak was diced. Some vegetable oil was heated up in my new wok, along with some garlic and some of the green onions.

Once they were browned, the chicken was sauted and then the ham. These were taken out and put aside, and after it cooled the chicken was diced. The carrots and celery was then stir-fried, and some chicken stock was added.

While that was cooking, I soaked some of the rice sticks in cold water for ten minutes and removed it from the water and added it to the stir fry, along with some oyster sauce and let the noodles cook. I sliced a lemon in two and dished it up. Soy sauce and freshly squeezed lemon juice completed it and it was excellent.

The pancit and an adult beverage made for an immensely pleasing repast. My better half was delighted.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GRILL-FRIED Chicken

Brined overnight & breaded
f89c41b56c76f90780e20e505cae0b2b.jpg

b72b5070ff5eece0282855ea082edbe0.jpg

On a hot grill for 30 minutes - brushed with oil - finished for another 20.
71ff691378fd524e52dd97cbb85c9904.jpg

a520b07bf07f99150e8b53738ab84480.jpg

All done & ready to eat.
a8ee93fb773c632f378191fe4f289072.jpg

cc5552a75e95f743ed5ff88a50bad632.jpg

Tossed in homemade buffalo & Carolina gold sauces.
2b5843bdbb6b33141ee594cc99247f40.jpg

f215544bbfb9a0016457f1a2e5e1ca6a.jpg

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My late mother was a fantastic cook and she used to work around a few Filipinas and they showed her how to make a dish called pancit. (pronounced pawn sit). That was a dish that I hadn't had for a long time and I remembered it very fondly, but I was somewhat hesitant to make it for fear that I'd mess up.

The other day, a shipment of what are called bean threads and rice sticks (very thin rice noodles) arrived so I decided to embark upon the adventure. Carrots and celery were very thinly sliced, and some green onions were cut, and some frozen chicken breast was tenderized and a ham steak was diced. Some vegetable oil was heated up in my new wok, along with some garlic and some of the green onions.

Once they were browned, the chicken was sauted and then the ham. These were taken out and put aside, and after it cooled the chicken was diced. The carrots and celery was then stir-fried, and some chicken stock was added.

While that was cooking, I soaked some of the rice sticks in cold water for ten minutes and removed it from the water and added it to the stir fry, along with some oyster sauce and let the noodles cook. I sliced a lemon in two and dished it up. Soy sauce and freshly squeezed lemon juice completed it and it was excellent.

The pancit and an adult beverage made for an immensely pleasing repast. My better half was delighted.

We have a Filipino in our family. Wife's cousin married her almost 50 years ago. They can cook up some dang fine meals. Every time we go visit them, they have a get-together where all the other Filipinos that are married to veterans show up and there is a fine feed.

While we were in Oregon, the wife fixed up one of their dishes to feed to some of the guests at the "Ranch." Those ladies raved about it. (I just can't remember the name for it.)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a Filipino in our family. Wife's cousin married her almost 50 years ago. They can cook up some dang fine meals. Every time we go visit them, they have a get-together where all the other Filipinos that are married to veterans show up and there is a fine feed.

That's a hysterically true stereotype that would get you in all kinds of trouble in politics or Hollyweird. Thanks for the giggle. lol

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a hysterically true stereotype that would get you in all kinds of trouble in politics or Hollyweird. Thanks for the giggle. lol

Not a stereotype actually. They live in a town near an Air Force Base. A lot of the AF vets decided to retire in that area and I guess that since the Filipinos seem to be such strong family types, they have kept in touch with each other over the years. I wasn't able to count how many couples were in those groups at the get-togethers. To put it into perspective a bit, Mountain Home, Idaho isn't that large of a city. Something like 14,000 people or so.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a stereotype actually. They live in a town near an Air Force Base. A lot of the AF vets decided to retire in that area and I guess that since the Filipinos seem to be such strong family types, they have kept in touch with each other over the years. I wasn't able to count how many couples were in those groups at the get-togethers. To put it into perspective a bit, Mountain Home, Idaho isn't that large of a city. Something like 14,000 people or so.

I'm saying the stereotype of the Filipino women marrying USGI's. It may be a stereotype, but it's not false. They're not mutually exclusive. It's like gay guys and fat chicks, etc. It happens.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom