Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Made some Indian pudding from scratch last night. (That's feather Indian.) Man, I don't know why I waited so late in life to make some like my Grandma(Dad's mother) taught my Mom to make. We had it at least twice a month when I was a kid! Now to find some of that really dark - almost black - bread that came in a can!

Woody

INDIAN PUDDING

INGREDIENTS:

3 Cups Milk

1/4 Cup (1/2 Stick) Butter

1/4 Cup Yellow Cornmeal

2 Tablespoons Flour

1/2 Teaspoon Salt

1/4 cup Molasses

2 Eggs, beaten

3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar

1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon

1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg

1/2 Cup Raisins(Optional)

DIRECTIONS:

1) Scald the milk and butter, keep it hot.

2) Preheat oven to 250° F

3) Make Cornmeal Milk-Base - In separate bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, and salt. Stir in the molasses. Thin the mixture with about 1/4 cup of the scalded milk a little bit at a time, then gradually add the mixture back in with the scalded milk. Cook, stirring until thickened.

4) Temper the Eggs, Combine With the Milk-Cornmeal Mixture - Temper the eggs by slowly adding 1/4 cup of the hot milk-cornmeal mixture to the beaten eggs, whisking constantly. Add the egg mixture back into the hot milk-cornmeal mixture, stir to combine.

5) Add the sugar and spices; stir until smooth. (If clumpy, run it through a blender to smooth it out.) Stir in the rasins if desired.

6) Bake in a 1-1/2 quart shallow casserole dish for about 1-1/2 hours at 250°F. Test with toothpick.

7) Cool for about an hour to be at its best. Warm it up if it has been chilled.

Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

This what you are talking about?
https://www.amazon.com/Brown-Bread-...=canned+bread&qid=1557489993&s=pantry&sr=8-16

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Feels like a lasagna type of day. So, I got a batch of homemade 'gravy' simmering on the stove. Something good in this neighborhood!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fresh picked garden beans, new potatoes, bacon/ham, onion and shrooms for the evening meal.
Got most of the food groups covered. [emoji16]

86ad9888c312076e3f2e0ac0551e6c0e.jpg

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now that's some fine eat'n!!

(I know this sounds weird, but try a couple crushed beef boullion cubes in your recipe. Just does something nice!)

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sautéed mushrooms & onions, cheese burgers, and chicken legs dusted with Kosmos chili lime seasoning.

c0d5a218634be543ce2796f5158ea387.jpg

e138cd60448f2b3490e61af95149d916.jpg

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a chicken leg didn't make it --- so sad!!

Good eye! The cook typically gets the primo grub around our crib, but don't tell anybody. :hey3:

A cook always gets to taste test.
Purely scientific.

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

Latest posts

Top Bottom