Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
Now, one of my recipes......

“Jackpricot” Ham Glaze

• ½ cup apricot preserves
• ½ cup honey (100% honey, not 'honey blend' that adds corn sweeteners)
• 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
• ¼ cup Jack Daniels 'black label' whiskey

Can be used on any type ham, but best on cured, spiral-cut. Instructions presumes the latter.

Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Cover ham with foil and place in oven to warm.
Combine all glaze ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
Heat smoker to 300 degrees F. using fruit wood (personal favorite) or good hardwood.
When ham is warm throughout, remove from oven. Spoon glaze over ham. Get plenty down into the spiral cuts using a basting brush or turkey baster. Put ham into smoker, uncovered, for 30 minutes, basting often.

ENJOY!!!!!!

For non-cured hams, bake as directed. Add glaze 30 minutes before ham is done and continue to bake in oven or place into smoker of same temperature.

I'd give you my "To Die For" smoked brisket recipe.............by then I'd have to kill you! :hey3:

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For anyone who likes KFC, but not the price!

KFC's 11 Herbs and Spices Recipe
11 herbs & spices —

1) 2/3 Ts salt
2) 1/2 Ts thyme
3) 1/2 Ts basil
4) 1/3 Ts oregano
5) 1 Ts celery salt
6) 1 Ts black pepper
7) 1 Ts dried mustard
8) 4 Ts paprika
9) 2 Ts garlic salt
10) 1 Ts ground ginger
11) 3 Ts white pepper

Mix with 2 cups white flour

Note: The addition of MSG (monosodium glutamate) to this recipe is said to replicate exactly the taste of the original KFC chicken. “Accent” seasoning is MSG.

This is reportedly the original "original recipe" given to Harlan Sanders by his aunt.

Please translate your measurement system to standard notation -

Tablespoon = Tbsp. or T
Teaspoon = tsp. or t

IOW, the larger measurement, tablespoon, gets the capital/large letter when used in a recipe.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna throw a restaurant critique in here: Barrios Mexican in OKC. Used to be the old Swansons Tires at 9th and Hudson. We've been twice. We gave them a second chance and they blew it too, so there is no need to go back for strike three. Overpriced and underflavored. Hipster joint, for the tight jeans and man bun crowd. It was mediocre at best, and if I'm going to pay someone for a meal, I'd like it to be worth eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Soooo this isn't exactly food but it makes a pretty good "HOT" Apple pie.

One quart mason jar
One can condensed apple juice
Two or three slices of apple
One large or two small cinnamon sticks
Nutmeg and Allspice
One 200ML bottle of Everclear
Water to top off the mason jar

Defrost and dump the apple juice concentrate in the mason jar. Toss in apple slices and cinnamon sticks, add in 1/2 tsp of nutmeg and 1/4 tsp allspice. Add some powdered cinnamon if you don't want to use sticks. Pour in everclear and top off with water till full. Shake well and let sit for a couple days.

Once it has rested open it up and enjoy a hot apple pie, though I wouldn't smoke around this one.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Soooo this isn't exactly food but it makes a pretty good "HOT" Apple pie.

One quart mason jar
One can condensed apple juice
Two or three slices of apple
One large or two small cinnamon sticks
Nutmeg and Allspice
One 200ML bottle of Everclear
Water to top off the mason jar

Defrost and dump the apple juice concentrate in the mason jar. Toss in apple slices and cinnamon sticks, add in 1/2 tsp of nutmeg and 1/4 tsp allspice. Add some powdered cinnamon if you don't want to use sticks. Pour in everclear and top off with water till full. Shake well and let sit for a couple days.

Once it has rested open it up and enjoy a hot apple pie, though I wouldn't smoke around this one.

Looks interesting - please clarify if you mean 2 -3 slices of one apple or to slice up 2 -3 apples. I think you mean the second, slicing up multiple apples.

Also, if I were to do it, I'd be tempted to use some red hot cinnamon candies to pump up the cinnamon flavor. Thoughts??

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No just two or three slices of one apple. The apple is mainly for looks but it does add just a touch of flavour as well. You could add red hots but remember that the everclear is 190 proof so even cutting it by about 1/5 it still has quite a bit of kick at around 21 percent alcohol for the final mix. It sounds tame with all the apple juice concentrate thinning it out but this will have a lot more kick than your average margarita or mojito which will mix out closer to 13 to 15 percent alcohol.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que Mutha Sauce:

¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup minced onion
½ cup minced green pepper
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
Pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 can (28 ounces) tomato sauce
2 cups ketchup (preferably Heinz)
1 cup water
¾ cup Worcestershire sauce
½ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup molasses
¼ cup cayenne pepper sauce
¼ cup spicy brown mustard
¾ cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
½ teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke (optional)

Pour the oil into a large saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Toss in the onions, green peppers, and jalapeños and give them a stir. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook til soft and golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Dump in everything else except the Liquid Smoke. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the sauce simmers. Simmer for 10 minutes. Swirl in the Liquid Smoke and let the sauce cool. Pour it into a container, cover, and store in the fridge til ready to use.

Makes 6 to 7 Cups

Variation: Hot BBQ Sauce
Add 2 or 3 seeded and minced habañero peppers (about 1 ½ teaspoons to 1 tablespoon) along with the onions, peppers, and jalapeños. Also add ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper along with the other ingredients

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All-Purpose Spice Rub

Makes 1 1/4 cups (enough to season 5 to 10 pounds of meat, poultry, or seafood)

Ingredients:

1/3 cup coarse salt
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (optional)

Directions:

In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients, using your hands to break up the sugar.

For each pound of meat, poultry, or seafood: First, coat with 2 to 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, then 1 to 2 tablespoons spice rub. After applying the rub, you can either grill foods immediately or let them sit and develop more flavor. If preparing ahead of time (up to 24 hours), you can apply the rub to chicken and turkey parts, steaks, pork chops, lamb chops, ribs, brisket, or pork shoulder. (The larger the cut, the more it will benefit from a long coating time.) Cover and refrigerate; bring to room temperature before grilling. Fish and shrimp are best grilled within an hour of rubbing. To prevent foods from sticking, oil grates well, and don't move the food for the first minute or so of cooking; this will allow a solid crust to form. Rubs are not just for grilling. They're also great for roasting and broiling.

Note: Before handling raw meat, measure out the amount of rub you'll need, and set it aside; this way, you'll avoid contaminating the unused rub.

Experiment with your favorite spices and dried herbs; just keep the quantities of coarse salt and light-brown sugar the same as in the all-purpose recipe. Here are a few ideas to get you started.

Southwestern Rub: Replace some of the paprika with cumin, coriander, and chili powder.
Indian Rub: Replace the oregano and thyme with turmeric, curry powder, ground ginger, and cardamom.
Mediterranean Rub: Replace some or all the oregano and/or thyme with dried tarragon, marjoram, rosemary, dill, or basil. Omit the cayenne pepper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom