Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To busy eating to take a pic but tonight is pork loin, hulled barley, mushrooms, onions and carrots all cooked in the slow cooker.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trying something here and I have no idea what to expect.
Shredded chicken mixed with shredded cheese...topped with "jalapeno popper spread" (Diced jalapeno, bacon, cream cheese). Will bake and see how this turns out.

View attachment 147248

View attachment 147249

DELICIOUS!!!!
I baked it tonight...you could do lots with the basics of this recipe (more or less of any ingredient to your liking) but I wouldnt really change a thing.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Garlic Lemon Mesquite chicken on the grill tonight.
IMG_20191123_184845.jpg
IMG_20191123_190453.jpg

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just threw a brisket flat on the smoker. I bought a high-grade choice brisket last Saturday, separated the point and flat, trimmed 'em up and put them in a curing/pickling brine on Sunday. The flat came out Friday and got soaked in plain water for about 9-10 hours on Friday, the point is still curing now, as it was about 2.5" thick. Prolly take it out Monday or Tues.

So I rubbed the flat with a mix of ground coriander and black pepper, then let it sit out in the fridge open to dry the outside and firm up to make a crust. On the smoker this morning, gonna let it get up to about 170F, then pull it off bag it up and sous vide at 195F for 4 hours or so for a get-together this evening.

Homemade pastrami. Absolutely CAN. NOT. BE. BEAT.

Pics later...

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so here we go:

Perfect temp for this application - we've gotten through 'the stall' to set the bark nicely.

20191124_121554-X3.jpg

And now, all sealed up and ready for the sous vide. 195F for four hours.

20191124_122748-X3.jpg

I'll try to remember to take some pics later when we cut it open.

Looks friggin awesome!
Question........
Why finish sous vide instead of smoker?

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks friggin awesome!
Question........
Why finish sous vide instead of smoker?

I've smoked it all the way to the end before, and it never comes out right for me, personally. It always ends up drier or harder than I want. I typically will smoke it up to 150s/160s or so and then steam it up to 203/205 and this makes it nice and moist and tender. Also fabulous for reheating it - IF any is left over the next day!

The sous vide method is a variation on that, and has been used by a ton of people on a food board I hang out on so I thought I'd give this method a shot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom