Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been using Masa flour for years on chile. It really doesn't matter what the proportion of the ingredients is because it can be adjusted anyway you want. It does impart some flavor to the chili so if your not a big masa fan, mix the roux thick and stir it in drops at a time at a light simmer.
We don't just add it to warm water as recommended. Do it on the stove with butter to let the flour "cook" just a bit. It does change the flavor some. Same as regular roux to make gravy. You want it to cook to eliminate the raw flour taste.
We do it both ways and enjoy it, but this is just an alternative to try if anyone wants.

spence

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use McCormick Texas style seasoning packets. How much flour do you use? I thought about that...

Packets to season chili? What is the world coming to?

I jest. Halfway. That's borderline crime in my book. Then again, I don't remember the last time I made chili, either.

I also have to cook so there's not much for leftovers, so that doesn't help. Especially when kids aren't always here, and they aren't the biggest on leftovers, either.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try spicy Bloody Mary mix sometime.

Wish I could but the wife is a wimp. V8 is about as spicy as she can handle, and some times not even that. On the plus side, cabbage rolls are great simmered in V8.

Or Snap-E-Tom!.

Here's a suggestion to rock your chili world: Rotel, just like you use to make queso dip. You even have a few choices from mild to habanero hot to account for taste. The liquid helps hydrate the spices. I use 2 cans for a chili recipe that calls for 2 lbs. of meat.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a suggestion to rock your chili world: Rotel, just like you use to make queso dip. You even have a few choices from mild to habanero hot to account for taste. The liquid helps hydrate the spices. I use 2 cans for a chili recipe that calls for 2 lbs. of meat.

I always use Rotel in my chili. Good stuff

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Packets to season chili? What is the world coming to?

I jest. Halfway. That's borderline crime in my book. Then again, I don't remember the last time I made chili, either.

I also have to cook so there's not much for leftovers, so that doesn't help. Especially when kids aren't always here, and they aren't the biggest on leftovers, either.

Some spices come in a bottle, some in an envelope...what's the exact difference?
Oh wait, IDGAF.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hot Rotel in beans n ham but never tried it in chili...I will try it.

I do the 15 bean soup and ham with it. I’m not a tomato fan so sometimes I food process the big chucks down a bit.
Same with pinto beans and ham. There are always a few cans of Rotel in the pantry at my house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom