Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
How’d they turn out?
How long did you cook?
What are you using for rub?

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi
They came out pretty good. This batch was St. Louis so they cooked a while longer than the last ones I did. The snake worked out great. It went about 2/3 of they way around. I probably could have let them cook an extra 30 minutes but no one was complaining. They cooked about 6 hours. Once the sun went down my temps dropped off so I just pulled them and we ate. I prefer baby backs to St. Louis but wife bought a pack of each a while back when Sprouts had them BOGO free since they only had one baby back left.

As for rub nothing crazy just using Weber original rub I think it is. No complaints here so far.

I think I will start trying some other coals to see what burns longest and hottest. Overall still really enjoying this kettle. My gas Weber has just collected dust since I got this.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They came out pretty good. This batch was St. Louis so they cooked a while longer than the last ones I did. The snake worked out great. It went about 2/3 of they way around. I probably could have let them cook an extra 30 minutes but no one was complaining. They cooked about 6 hours. Once the sun went down my temps dropped off so I just pulled them and we ate. I prefer baby backs to St. Louis but wife bought a pack of each a while back when Sprouts had them BOGO free since they only had one baby back left.

As for rub nothing crazy just using Weber original rub I think it is. No complaints here so far.

I think I will start trying some other coals to see what burns longest and hottest. Overall still really enjoying this kettle. My gas Weber has just collected dust since I got this.

I've been using the snake method in my little tabletop charcoal grill we keep in the RV. Did a London Broil the other day for about 6 hours and only had a little more than half of the charcoals burned, but only use a single layer instead of a double since it's so small to maintain about 225 to 240 degrees.
Keep the weber wireless temp probe in the vent on top to monitor the temps inside.
The meat needed another hour or two, but got it on late and it was cooling down rapidly because of the ambient temps outside. Almost fork tender, but with some thin slices it made some danged good sandwiches.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kept it simple tonight.
And inside.....where it’s warm.

Picked up some Boudin links at Wheelers a while back. Perfect time to whip it up with a pile of dirty rice.

679cb1365b836d108b366934cf1325e0.jpg

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Experimenting with fried radishes some more. Radishes, bacon, a little onion and bell pepper. Not bad at all.

Just a little FYI, Brats cook much better if you turn the correct burner on. That is all.

Radishes.jpg

Last edited:

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Way too nice a day outside to let it get away.
Way too nice.
Did some garage cleaning. A little yard prepping. Then I got to cook me some meats.

8b9186b5d3465bfaeb1c1ae4b8161e59.jpg

A little experimenting today.
Decided to try ribs a couple of different ways.
Got one rack with a heavy dose of the ribs.
Got one rack with the basics...gonna glaze those later.
Both getting the post oak.

a2a39f32bb2248a0c72cfe6ed99f0ad1.jpg

6fcafd9081b00894d5033c91f248091f.jpg

In other news.....had a couple of beef short ribs that needed a cooking. Threw them on with some pecan smoke. Tossed the rib trimming in so I could have an early snack.

d28c006b587544bd836607fb1ebb8e68.jpg

- Oobedoob Benubi

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was hankerin' for an easy bowl of dip a while back, and came up with this:

- Put 1 regular sized can (10 oz?) of cream of mushroom soup in a bowl. Do NOT add water, don't even rinse the can (well not into the bowl anyway).

- Add a 1/8" to 1/4" layer of sliced or grated cheddar cheese on top.

- Microwave until the cheese is fairly melted (60 seconds on high in our microwave). Stir well and microwave another 30-60 seconds. Stir again and it's done.

It was surprisingly good.
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom