Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done pastrami a number of times, both from scratch curing my own corned beef and from store-bought corned beef. The scratch is better, but it takes time and space.

Can't be beat, man. Just can't be beat.

This has been my experience as well. Unfortunately I'm the only one around here that likes pastrami.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pork tenderloin before and after tonight.

8c982407161d3bd741f9d61e7501a1f0.jpg

d6ead492772eb564a1674881102b5aa4.jpg

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm really sorry but I only got an early pic. I got some beef short ribs yesterday and seared them well in a cast iron pan with a little avocado oil (it has a high smoke point), just put a little S&P on them first. I did about 8 like this. Then in the pan I put a little chicken stock (I didn't have any beef stock) and some garlic, to sort of deglaze the pan a little bit. I also added some dried thyme. After 2 minutes or so, I poured all this over all the beef short ribs in a big roasting pan.

20200320_155641-X2.jpg

I threw this in the oven (covered) at 350 for about 2 hours. Then I took it out and pulled out about a cup of the liquid and set it aside, replaced it with more chicken stock. I then added a ton of large chunky-sliced carrots, onions, celery and potatoes. More S&P and a few sprinkles of Tony Chachere's (just a little, not a lot). Put it back in for another half hour, brought it out and stirred it up, a tiny bit more S&P and Tony's then back in for 30 minutes.

At this point, I took out two packages of Stove Top stuffing mix and made this, following the directions (although I usually use a tiny bit less liquid), replacing some of the water with the equivalent amount of fatty beef drippings I removed from the roasting pan - and these drippings have all that garlic and thyme in there, too, along with the beef flavor. This gave the Stove Top a bit of a different flavor. I liked it, but it was very different than the 'normal' Stove Top flavor.

I threw some crusty Italian bread in the oven for 8 minutes (WalMart special), made some fresh iced tea and had the family over. 7 of us devoured all that stuff and it was incredible - and we stayed under the 10 person limit! lol

I have some more short ribs I may smoke up and make something special I'm considering, although I think some people will probably think it blasphemy, but oh well. Experimenting is fun.

Again, I'm sorry I didn't get more pictures, but I honestly didn't think about it beyond the first pic of the searing, and I took that for a friend of mine who sent me a pic of his salmon and shrimp - he's Catholic and it was Friday, so I decided to rub it in a little bit that he couldn't eat "real meat" last night. lol

So if I'm motivated today and tomorrow I'll try this new dish, but it is a good bit of work so I'm not sure. We'll see.

If any of you haven't tried beef short ribs, this is a really easy and fabulous dish to make everyone think you are an amazing chef. I'm serious, a little sear and then just roasting/braising them like this, throwing in some veggies and seasoning (again, nothing but garlic, S&P, thyme and a little Tony's) and it is crazy good. It takes a while (about 3 hours altogether), but short ribs are cheap ($1.99/lb for these) and celery, onion, carrot and potato are cheap too. This makes a huge, hearty meal, the beef ribs are fatty, rich, unctuous and fall-apart tender and full of flavor. You really can't screw this up, it's faster and 10 times better than a roast and you can vary things in a lot of ways - you could swap potatoes out for parsnips or turnips or something, you could add a little red wine to the braising liquid (I've done this before and it is great!) to make a beef spin on coq au vin, etc. So many ways you can go, and changing the spices up changes the flavor immensely. You could add more Tony's and some jalapenos and really heat it up, do it in a big stock pot to make it a stew...

I'm tellin' you folks - this is super easy and people will really think you're a fancy chef. Give it a shot!

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The other .5, the sis, & the mom got me a new grill for my birthday.

a9349d9496312fc1e11bc7eaa419c3c1.jpg

7778f72fbb9fb44c25f9fda98511c709.jpg

Figured today was a good day to season it. Lit a chimney up and dumped a full lid of coals in the baskets. Bacon with brown sugar & black pepper along with some maple for smoke.

042fc76ba41f8fe228d82da20e70d5f6.jpg

fe972e84ef4130e54ecbc0a481434e84.jpg

That was for snacking. Had a meatloaf going in one of the other cookers. Covered with strips of bacon and smoked with apple wood.

b5bda6e2cbda228cf993800ae6fc35a3.jpg

c2083f41a70f89fbf09e54aaee4ac5f2.jpg

36f1645dab4cced7864c9162cfefa393.jpg

2e78d850bad55d57c17379f2a62a893c.jpg

Yep.
If I’m stuck at the house, I’m gonna be on the grill.

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where did they find that color @jmike314 I never seen it before. Also I like they went all out on master touch. Well done and Happy Birthday. I am sure this was just their plot to get you to make them more good eats.

Latest posts

Top Bottom