Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Home made chicken noodle soup with carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and dill. MMmmmmmm!!!

IMG_1995.JPG

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wowzers. That is low and slow for a bird. I can't tell, is it stuffed? Looks great. Do you temp it with a thermometer in the breast &/or thigh or just go by time or what?
I go by temp in breast and thigh, when breast is about 10° from done i cover with foil. Its stuffed with a mix of apple and oranges.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you guys ever made Smoked Mac & Cheese? They have been talking about it in the cast iron cooking group and it sounds good. I may need to find a cheap electric smoker.

Smoked mac and cheese.jpg

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s exactly what I cooked tonight.
Added a little crushed red pepper for some light heat.
I will be making a large batch of that following Thanksgiving. I make kind of a soup base made with lots of carrots, celery and onion, with no noodles. Then I portion it off in 5 or 6 batches and freeze those. Then when we are ready for it for dinner, I thaw it out and add a can of chicken broth, boil some noodles in another can of chicken broth and then mix those together. That makes a full batch that is plenty for both of us to eat for at least a couple of meals. Crumble up a little bit of cornbread in it and it is a hearty meal. I don't put red pepper in mine because the wife does not like the spice, so about 6 or 8 dashes of Tobasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce give it the kick I like. That lasts us most of the winter for a real quick and delicious meal.

xseler

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you guys ever made Smoked Mac & Cheese? They have been talking about it in the cast iron cooking group and it sounds good. I may need to find a cheap electric smoker.

View attachment 181321

Rick, I made a cheap smoker out of a 3 drawer filing cabinet. Have a stainless colander in the bottom drawer to hold the charcoal and wood chips. Middle drawer holds a stainless bowl for any liquid. Top drawer has a stainless rack wired to the drawer to hold the meat. Installed a thermometer in the top drawer. No need to have any vents for the smoke outlet. It usually holds at around 220* which is perfect for what I use it for.

I think I have $10 invested in it (thermometer). Already had the stainless and found the filing cabinet on a 'big trash day'.

IMG_1907.JPG

xseler

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will be making a large batch of that following Thanksgiving. I make kind of a soup base made with lots of carrots, celery and onion, with no noodles. Then I portion it off in 5 or 6 batches and freeze those. Then when we are ready for it for dinner, I thaw it out and add a can of chicken broth, boil some noodles in another can of chicken broth and then mix those together. That makes a full batch that is plenty for both of us to eat for at least a couple of meals. Crumble up a little bit of cornbread in it and it is a hearty meal. I don't put red pepper in mine because the wife does not like the spice, so about 6 or 8 dashes of Tobasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce give it the kick I like. That lasts us most of the winter for a real quick and delicious meal.

My folks (in their 80's) keep a gallon size bag in the freezer. Anytime they have leftover vegetables from a meal, they go in the bag --- no matter what they are. When the bag gets full, they make a batch of Slop Soup --- their name, not mine. Most of the time it turns out really good!

They are from the 'waste not/want not' generation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom