Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is called Cast Iron Cooking and is on Facebook. There are a few others with the same name but you can follow this link or look for the group with over 423K members.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/castironskillet
I like it, no politics, memes, cat videos, etc. Just cast iron and cooking. You will see dishes and recipes from all around the country and if you see a dish that interest you, you can ask for the recipe if they did not post it. Only a few main rules and you should read them when you join. Most important 2. If you post a pic, make sure to include your CI. If someone post a dish you do not like, just ignore it, do not say yuck or something.
In other words, don't act like a trucker! I'll have Mrs Monkey take a peek at it on FB.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet Italian sausage and onions with Mrs Monkey's sauce. Cookware inspired by Mr RickN.
32563.jpeg

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet Italian sausage and onions with Mrs Monkey's sauce. Cookware inspired by Mr RickN.
View attachment 225596
Some things just cook better in cast iron. I am not CI crazy like some members of that group who insist everything has to be cooked in CI, but I do like it for many things, and over a campfire you can not beat it.

God I miss bacon, eggs and potatoes all cooked over an open fire with biscuits in the dutch oven.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some things just cook better in cast iron. I am not CI crazy like some members of that group who insist everything has to be cooked in CI, but I do like it for many things, and over a campfire you can not beat it.

God I miss bacon, eggs and potatoes all cooked over an open fire with biscuits in the dutch oven.
I can duplicate a decent campfire at my place. I've got a brand new skillet and Dutch oven that need to be broken in. You're welcome anytime. I'll cook it outdoors and bring the food in. I've been watching a lady on U toob that cooks primarily in CI. Her blog and channel are about keeping the Appalachian ways. Her blog is blindpigandtheacorn.com
20210906_080245.jpg

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can duplicate a decent campfire at my place. I've got a brand new skillet and Dutch oven that need to be broken in. You're welcome anytime. I'll cook it outdoors and bring the food in. I've been watching a lady on U toob that cooks primarily in CI. Her blog and channel are about keeping the Appalachian ways. Her blog is blindpigandtheacorn.com
View attachment 225604
Only one thing, a lot of the Utubers give out bad info on the care of CI. Some will tell you to clean them in a self cleaning oven or by tossing it into a hot fire. They do not tell you about how many pans get damaged or destroyed by the high heat, or cause kitchen fires. Recipes yes, CI care, the group's FAQ has the best info by serious collectors and cooks.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only one thing, a lot of the Utubers give out bad info on the care of CI. Some will tell you to clean them in a self cleaning oven or by tossing it into a hot fire. They do not tell you about how many pans get damaged or destroyed by the high heat, or cause kitchen fires. Recipes yes, CI care, the group's FAQ has the best info by serious collectors and cooks.
One of my most vivid memories from childhood are of a cast iron skillet "exploding" while my mom was frying fish on the stove top. Keep in mind I was about 5 so "exploding" may not be 100% accurate but it was loud, there was cussing and the kitchen did not catch fire.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my most vivid memories from childhood are of a cast iron skillet "exploding" while my mom was frying fish on the stove top. Keep in mind I was about 5 so "exploding" may not be 100% accurate but it was loud, there was cussing and the kitchen did not catch fire.
As long as you mom was not hurt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom