Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the smoked Mac & Cheese recipes getting good reviews in the cast iron cooking group on FB.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/re...G_4qFoW1lRUChyY_eUIyHR82-FdRqEQrqaWNrzJjzLkMg
smoked mac and cheese.jpg

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tonight dinner was something a little different for us, tomato based stew. Was good, just not the way I normally make stew, but I had extra tomatoes and some redskins getting ready to go bad. Since I have been good all week I could cheat on my diet a little. Plus it is a cheap meal.

For dessert, remember Royal brand gelatin? Well Crest still carries it and it is lower sugar than Jello brand and with a better flavor. We have tried the Blackberry and the Raspberry and we both like it better than Jello.

Stew.jpg

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My stew has always been tomato based. In fact, if the chunks were chopped smaller, it could probably be called vegetable beef soup.

My folks keep a gallon size Ziploc in the freezer. Any time there are left-over vegetables from a meal, they go into the bag --- no matter what they are. When the bag gets nearly full, Mom makes a batch of what my Dad calls "Slop Soup". Sometimes it's really good, sometimes you just say it's really good! lol

Last edited:

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chicken fried steak, rustic mashed potato’s gravy and biscuits for lunch today

Attachments

• 2AC872CF-1F01-4B88-B089-A4CACEF2992C.jpeg
    2AC872CF-1F01-4B88-B089-A4CACEF2992C.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 39
  • B77017EA-ACA9-439A-AC8D-DFC26DB11842.jpeg
    B77017EA-ACA9-439A-AC8D-DFC26DB11842.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 27C0D573-CDEE-433F-AC84-33E2344060F7.jpeg
    27C0D573-CDEE-433F-AC84-33E2344060F7.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 4DB2241A-D5EE-4E4E-B0F1-614BCE4CE20F.jpeg
    4DB2241A-D5EE-4E4E-B0F1-614BCE4CE20F.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 35

orangevale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Early this week I made Hodge Podge Soup and a skillet of cornbread to go with. First night’s dessert was a wedge of cornbread with butter and apricot preserves.

Hodge Podge Soup

1 ½ lbs. ground beef

¾ C chopped onion

1 clove garlic, minced

4 cans condensed Minestrone Soup

1 31 oz can baked beans

1 ½ C chopped celery

4 C water

1 T Worchester Sauce

½ tsp dried oregano, crushed in the hand

Brown the beef, onion and garlic

Add the remaining ingredients, simmer until the celery gets to the “doneness” you prefer.

Notes:

The original recipe called for 3 cans of soup and 3 C of water.

The proportions and ingredients can be adjusted for your convenience. If the ground beef is in 1 lb. units, 1 lb. will do. I always “eyeball” the onion, celery and garlic (spoonful from the jar). I like cheaper pork and beans for this, just as well as baked beans. The units of water are whatever it takes to fill up a soup can. Add ground pepper to your taste, I hold off on additional salt, let the individual add salt if preferred.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran across another stew recipe you guys might like. It is called Burgoo and is from the KY area. While this recipe calls for beef, pork and chicken, it is often made with lamb, venison, game birds, rabbits, etc. In other words, use what you got.

Ingredients​

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 pounds pork shoulder cut into chunks
  • 2 pounds chuck roast or other stew meat, cut into chunks
  • 2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces I use legs and thighs
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 1 large green pepper chopped
  • 2-3 jalapeno peppers chopped (optional, for some spice factor)
  • 3 carrots peeled and chopped
  • 2 celery ribs chopped
  • 1 cup okra chopped (optional)
  • 4 cloves garlic chopped
  • 8 cups chicken stock or use beef stock
  • 28 ounces crushed tomatoes canned, or fresh
  • 1 cup bbq sauce optional, for a tangier version
  • Hot Sauce to taste + more for serving
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3 large potatoes peeled and diced
  • 12 ounces corn canned or fresh
  • 12 ounces lima beans canned
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions​

• Heat the olive oil in a very large pot (at least 8 quarts) to medium-high heat. Season the pork, beef and chicken with salt and pepper. Sear them in batches in the pot a few minutes per side to brown them. Remove and set aside.
  • Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion, peppers, carrots, celery and okra. Cook for 5 minutes to soften. Stir in the garlic and cook another minute until the garlic becomes fragrant.
  • Add the chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, bbq sauce (if using), hot sauce to taste and bay leaves. Return the browned meats to the pot. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
  • Remove the chicken and pull the meat from the bones. Discard the bones and return the tender meat to the pot. Break apart any larger chunks of meat with forks.
  • Add the potatoes, corn, lima beans, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are softened and cooked through.
  • Taste and adjust for salt and pepper and hot sauce. Serve with extra hot sauce!

Notes​

This recipe makes about 5-6 quarts.

The Meats.Mutton is commonly used in traditional burgoo, though it's harder to find. You'll mostly find burgoo recipes made with chicken, beef and pork. Any stew meat will work for this recipe, as will seasonal game meats, like squirrel, venison or game birds.

The Vegetables.You can use many other vegetables to make burgoo. Common additions to what I've used include green beans, cabbage and other root vegetables. Use your favorites.

Seasonings. You'll note the only seasonings used to make traditional burgoo are salt and pepper. You can easily add in your favorites, like a spicy Cajun seasoning, chili powders or others.

Nutrition​

Calories: 355kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 471mg | Potassium: 810mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1815IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 3mg

Burgoo-Recipe5.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom