Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangevale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I make a dish that I call a German Lasagna. It's layers of frozen hash browns, cheese, onions, mushrooms, crumbled sausage, or ham, or bacon (whatever I happen to have), and Golden Mushroom Soup. I guess you could layer in some scambled eggs..... Good for breakfast, or anytime!

My brother in Golden Mushroom soup! I make an overly complicated pork chop dish that has evolved to include Golden Mushroom soup. One of the only things my wife will eat three nights in a row.

Anyway, regarding “German Lasagna”:

Mushrooms are fresh or canned?

Soup goes in straight from the can, and other ingredients express enough fluid to loosen up the soup?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tonight was a cheat night. I made fried chicken, mashed tators & gravy, and sauteed some fresh green beans we were given with onion and mushrooms.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
She-who-must-be-obeyed had me type up these recipes to send to her sister. Sis-in-law is expecting “Thanksgiving” company from Tuesday night through Sunday noonish. These are useful recipes for feeding company so I thought I’d share them here. The first is an “egg” dish that can be used when folk’s breakfast schedules are not synchronized. The second helps move that turkey dinner.
Thought I had quoted the wrong file, but I do something similar to your "Elegant eggs" but with a little more "bite". Mine has a 1lb 14oz (kinda standard) size bag of hash browns. I add one chub of fried sausage, 5 eggs, and use 14oz sour cream instead of cottage cheese, which to me comes out about the same. I add a couple tablespoons of butter, 1/2 cup of milk,. two cups of shredded co-jack cheese, chopped onion, chopped black olives, and a few chopped peppers. (Jalapenos if it is for just me milder if not) I season it with a little dry mustard, I had a small amount of Coleman's mustard (the stuff for egg roll dip, kinda like powdered nitromethane if it is just for me), salt and pepper. Bake at 350 till browning on the edges usually close to an hour at 350' if the hashbrowns are still cold after mixing, and cut into squares. When doing it for myself I put the squares into zip bags for when I need a quick breakfast in the micronuker. Splat of sour cream and a spoon of salsa on top works for me.

Thanks to everyone for sharing, eating is something else we all have in common, some of us like to or have to "fix it our self" haha.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually prefer my fish broiled, but seems everyone else like fried - what is the trick to keeping the seasoning on the fish pieces during the fry?
Guess I am way behind here, but will throw this out. Fresh fish I catch, fellet and let it soak in salt water while I am cleaning up the mess. I use one part flour and one part Shawnee's best self rising corn meal, ungodly amount of black pepper, a little salt, and a special seasoning.

Don't know what is in the seasoning. It is not made any more, company sold out to another and they do not make it but will not share the ingredence. My Mom gave me several containers of it before she passed away several years ago she found on sale I have frozen. Some kind of hot pepper stuff but have never been able to figure it out. When I shake it out into the flower/cornmeal black pepper and salt dry mixture to stir around, knowing it is potent stuff, I always have to cough. Wish I could find the recipe to make my own, I am getting short. I have tried, failed at even getting close.

OK pour off the salt water, put some fresh in a couple times to rinse the fish. Take out a piece at a time wet, dip it in a bowl with the dry mix to coat it and drop into the deep fryer after it is hot 325-350. Putting it in before it is that hot, it will wash off the batter, got to flash harden the moisture that has absorbed into it right off. (skillet would work also if it is almost smoking hot before you put it in.)

Number one, do not mess with it till it starts to brown and harden the crust. Works for me every time. Hope this helps you and anyone else who might want to try this method.

Last edited:

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother in Golden Mushroom soup! I make an overly complicated pork chop dish that has evolved to include Golden Mushroom soup. One of the only things my wife will eat three nights in a row.

Anyway, regarding “German Lasagna”:

Mushrooms are fresh or canned?

Soup goes in straight from the can, and other ingredients express enough fluid to loosen up the soup?

Mushrooms --- either way depending on what I have. Mushrooms are one of the only foods that it is impossible to overcook (for real).

Golden Mushroom Soup --- I maybe add half a can of water.

Oh, don't forget to put a little salt and pepper on the hash browns. I've even substituted thin sliced fresh taters if I didn't have the hash browns. This dish is a kinda use what you got kinda deal.

Good luck!!

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Compound butter made

Turkey prepped
1/2 pound of compound butter is under the skin
1/4 pound inside the bird
1/4 pound rubbed on the outside of the bird

Then Seasoned with salt and pepper