Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to share this since I had not seen one or even thought of it in decades. A member of the cast iron cooking group shared it. I know some of you would love this, and some will nitpik the booze. Get over it. :P

"This is what we call in the Philippines "Boodle Fight"! A Boodle Fight is a bare hand eating (Kamayan) culinary style experience that originated from the Philippine Military where a huge pile of food is served on banana leaves in the middle of a long table where every hungry soldier eats with their hands."

fight 1.jpg
fight 2.jpg
fight 3.jpg
fight 4.jpg
fight 5.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to share this since I had not seen one or even thought of it in decades. A member of the cast iron cooking group shared it. I know some of you would love this, and some will nitpik the booze. Get over it. :P

"This is what we call in the Philippines "Boodle Fight"! A Boodle Fight is a bare hand eating (Kamayan) culinary style experience that originated from the Philippine Military where a huge pile of food is served on banana leaves in the middle of a long table where every hungry soldier eats with their hands."

View attachment 249144View attachment 249145View attachment 249146View attachment 249147View attachment 249148
Too much wind in Ok for that style! Looks great though. Love cooking over an open fire.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too much wind in Ok for that style! Looks great though. Love cooking over an open fire.
I have cooked on a similar set up but you do have to pick your days. I do not know why but everything just taste better cooked over an open fire. Wish I could still do it but camp fires and O2 do not mix well. Polack go poof followed by lots of screaming.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have cooked on a similar set up but you do have to pick your days. I do not know why but everything just taste better cooked over an open fire. Wish I could still do it but camp fires and O2 do not mix well. Polack go poof followed by lots of screaming.
Back when tent camping almost every weekend many moons ago, we always cooked over an open fire. I was real big at the time into teaching my kids some outdoor skills.
The favorite was cutting a couple of green tree limbs with a fork in them to drive into the ground on either side of the fire pit. Then another green limb to thread a couple of whole chickens on.
Every time someone walked by the fire pit of coals, they were to rotate the chickens 1/4 turn. The cook lasted most of the afternoon over a slow fire which attracted predators (other campers) to walk by and comment how great it smelled and caution to not leave it unattended as it may disappear.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just in case some of you have a jerky gun and want to try a recipe for a pellet smoker here it is. The ingredient amounts produce a mid pepper flavor the young kids like it too. If you want more heat adjust the pepper or add another pepper type.

6.0 lbs ground venison (no fat)
3 Tsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tsp onion powder
3 Tsp garlic powder
3 Tsp salt
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup Worcestershire
2-3 Tbsp brown sugar
5 Tsp black pepper (coarse)
3 Tsp paprika
1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 Tsp powdered mustard
1 1/2 Tsp pink curing salt or (1/4 Tsp per lb.)
NOTE (pink himalayan or sea salt NOT SAME)
Mix in bowl and pour over ground in large deep food grade container etc. Mix well and load jerky gun coat wire racks with olive oil.

Attachments

• 20220110_190619.jpg
    20220110_190619.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother sent me a link to a fundraiser for my niece's softball team last weekend. She had just under $100 left to reach her $350 goal. There were chocolates, several other candies, popcorn, and snacks for sale. Maybe I am a softie, or just gullible, but I decided to make sure she reached her goal. Now I've got a little over $100 worth of chocolate chip and white chocolate macadamia cookies being delivered tomorrow afternoon sometime. Thank heavens I just had my quarterly doctor checkup on Thursday. I'll have three months to work off some of the cookies before being yelled at. I'll probably end up taking most of them to work for others to eat. Worth it though, that kid is a hoot!!

1643438098257.png

1643437953899.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom