Copper Fouling Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is an I know enough to be dangerous question....

I have a new savage 16 in 7mm08. After reading all kinds of various opinion on break in I finally got to shoot yesterday. I shot 1 and cleaned with Hoppes bench rest until I got a clean patch. Sent a rem oil patch next. Then a couple of dry patches. Did this for the first 10 shots. Then shot 3 and clean for 2 groups. Got home and cleaned the bore. The copper comes off the lands pretty well. However the heaviest fouling is in the grooves. Is this an issue.

A soak over night wasn't enough to get the copper out. I'm reluctant to go the JB bore paste route....again based on interweb reading.....same for sweets. Heard good stuff about wipe out but can' find any locally.

Am I over thinking this and worrying about nothing? Once the break in is done I'm a shoot it until the groups tell you to clean mindset.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1237.JPG
I use this stuff in milsurps I get. It turns blue until the copper is gone. I've had old war guns take a few days to run clear.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your OK with the process. Use a one size over brush for cleaning wont hurt and can help. Try to use a bore guide and you will be just fine. You should be good with an overnight soak and brushing every 20-50 rounds.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the copper in the groves isn't a concern? Never really noticed it in my other rifles....maybe the ss barrel makes it more noticable?
copper fouling can cause pitting over time, so it is always a concern. make sure that follow directions on any solvent that is made for removing copper fouling because the solvent can cause pitting too. If you use a solvent that turns blue when it contacts copper, follow the directions, it has ammonia in it, which will damage your barrel if it is left in too long. make sure that you always follow up solvent with a patch with oil on it, to prevent pitting.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really a concern. You can use a solvent with higher ammonia content but be careful and follow directions. Some are not meant for overnight soaking, but only shorter times of 15-30 minutes. The stainless sometimes seem to hold those streaks of copper in the grooves. When I use regular strength copper remover (reg shooter choice, Hoppe Benchrest, etc) overnight I usually try to run a soaked patch and brush a few times then wet patch and brush a few times, then wet patch every couples hours with muzzle down for 10-12 hrs and check again. Unless it was a heavily copper foul barrel this is good enough even if there is slight evidence of copper still. But most importantly is use a bore guide.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you have high humidity I wouldn't worry much about small traces of copper. I remember the first time me and copper went head to head. I had a Weatherby Mark V in 240 Wby Mag and a new Rem 700 RS in 30.06 back 1981 and couldn't stand to see those little streaks of copper. Guns that are spotless of copper new or used have copper in them on the next shot. The amount that accuracy falls off is when its too much.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to always push the bush towards the muzzle and not pull it back through.
I untwist the item and start from the breech each time.
some guns do not let you work that way though and you must push from muzzle end.

Latest posts

Top Bottom