Copper Fouling Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got out today and shot some 120gr nosler bt @3000fps. Figuring out the flyrs must be me. The gun REALLY likes this loading. When I did my part sub 1"groups were to be had. In fact groups were around .5 with one group being 1 ragged hole. Still had flyers now and then....always seemed to be on the 3rd shot of the group.

Shot 2 shots at 200 yrds and had 1.5" group.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what am I doing on the 3rd shot? Am I getting flinchy after the first 2?

How do you have the rifle supported? Your most stable shooting position is going to be sand bags up front and a rear bag. When shooting try to minimize the the amount of force you impart on the rifle and whatever you do impart do it consistently. I.E. use the same amount of force to pull the rifle in to your shoulder, do not touch the fore end, minimize the amount of force you apply to the grip.

You might also ask someone else to shoot the rifle for comparison.

Also, look into torquing your action screws, see the link below. http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

Have you tried multiple types of ammo to see what groups best?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what am I doing on the 3rd shot? Am I getting flinchy after the first 2?
Barrel warmed up and that changes everything.
You have to make a decision. If your a hunter, you want the cold bore shot to be on target.
if your a paper shooter, you want a tiny group and to get that you have to warm up the barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom