Copperhead down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ain't havin' any part of copperheads or rattlers. Killed many a copperhead when we had our place at Keystone. Too many kids wanting to run around barefooted and in swim suits or shorts.

It seems we have had a bumper crop of garter snakes this year! And, it seems they like our lawn and the wife's flower beds. I've seen a 'few' and so has the wife. I've pointed out, 'it's just a garter snake,' and I haven't heard any screaming nor found any bloody/greasy spots ... yet. I saw one yesterday that I don't believe was a garter snake, but I am in no way up on my snakes. It was same size as the little garters (about the size of a drinking straw), but appeared to be basically brown all over. Bull snake? Rat snake? Racer?

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But this is the time of year they usually give birth isn't it?
Bing says,
This snake species reproduces in the spring and then gives birth to live young in late August and September. What does a baby copperhead look like? The typical litter of copperheads is five to eight snakes, but 15-20 is possible. Thankfully, the young snakes are easy to identify.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ain't havin' any part of copperheads or rattlers. Killed many a copperhead when we had our place at Keystone. Too many kids wanting to run around barefooted and in swim suits or shorts.

It seems we have had a bumper crop of garter snakes this year! And, it seems they like our lawn and the wife's flower beds. I've seen a 'few' and so has the wife. I've pointed out, 'it's just a garter snake,' and I haven't heard any screaming nor found any bloody/greasy spots ... yet. I saw one yesterday that I don't believe was a garter snake, but I am in no way up on my snakes. It was same size as the little garters (about the size of a drinking straw), but appeared to be basically brown all over. Bull snake? Rat snake? Racer?
I'm not up on snakes either and I really have a hard time trying to identify them from 20 ft.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry bud, but it is not breeding season, spring is breeding season.. Copperheads give live birth so it is not laying season either.. Copperheads are a husky built snake, natures design.. Reptiles and amphibians that are carrying eggs or live young are known as gravid and not pregnant.. The term pregnant applies to warm blooded creatures, gravid to the cold blooded world..
Well, I was using some information that the wife got off of fakebook about breeding season after she saw the snake. I wanted to question it as most critters don't breed or spawn in the fall season but I'm totally clueless about snake breeding seasons.
I know you are, so I'll take your opinion as gospel. :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't see the pic either. If I open it in a new tab (which usually works) this is what I get. I don't think it's Dennis, it seems to be the forum software. I can find no rhyme or reason why pics work from some posters and not others.

View attachment 175131
yes, there seems to be an issue. I've been posting pics on OSA since 2008 after many software upgrades and changes. Something is going on and the owner needs to fix it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bing says,
This snake species reproduces in the spring and then gives birth to live young in late August and September. What does a baby copperhead look like? The typical litter of copperheads is five to eight snakes, but 15-20 is possible. Thankfully, the young snakes are easy to identify.
OK, just read down through the thread and have to correct the timeline after talking to the wife about what she read.
Breeding season is in the spring, and birth is in August or September according to Timmy59. We are in the time when the young are born.
This might account for how thick the copperhead appeared. I thought well fed but maybe pregnant?
They are short and thick naturally though, so it may have been a rodent in the belly. Don't know.

s4s5zbaUe_1FblHIxCKVMB2XOUBIqgrptPCbrvx-f1udGxPqBf2kCPupmHKVhGhdRQC9nj9umEGR76IsuSaEBcV2A2CgOfSID1ueQ_MjcYalMTvhOg4RhPqWrFP1cskRmXAkWXVPK1gst82VieDmrNbP80e7ruwlteGlr5jztF3EuWcwKxW2ksr0FeNP-UjV-HYcgxHnbLoTiMYP2nF93dlv0kroW8CR1L23CXkFAQxoDS4Ba4ROBvf6sNS290zXApyudPU_qnvGYQNWcZc7QX7ifmOZMoi7FCyJbdxZ7CcULQPHfAB5j72w4WywGT67CsW362RRoRQhG70eWgNHgFAt3o35ByRCX3Rjb7r0ejViK7awfxgXnyE-3o4WdVY2DGTs_reO6Z3gJvDNP8Gu1CB6JCHSHbe5srcRKwLrAObOHIYDutqZ8aRAgamXbDC_bVE048RXDEtrpRTdvUnqCbSBfXwjyNCXmZU1ANCjWgtd_MNC8OP48hjswZ03LzlooGOI0CJKJ9Cp3ecmHyNKieQlQbrwsD-5l0MyzR0wRbKr8X8EN5dezKH1I_awIvK--CFZP47ko5DwS5i1oXe_yYGQcp3lcOgQAVEHJYBrN6AVgPoWuMgrQVUB2ZeXB-4ph1GOgryKSDpbF57V7PAp4sIxJNiczh5EzVLVTjdqaYttMsnYhRIvtbiVNrcD=s250-k-rw-no

Anybody see this pic?

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, just read down through the thread and have to correct the timeline after talking to the wife about what she read.
Breeding season is in the spring, and birth is in August or September according to Timmy59. We are in the time when the young are born.
This might account for how thick the copperhead appeared. I thought well fed but maybe pregnant?
They are short and thick naturally though, so it may have been a rodent in the belly. Don't know.

s4s5zbaUe_1FblHIxCKVMB2XOUBIqgrptPCbrvx-f1udGxPqBf2kCPupmHKVhGhdRQC9nj9umEGR76IsuSaEBcV2A2CgOfSID1ueQ_MjcYalMTvhOg4RhPqWrFP1cskRmXAkWXVPK1gst82VieDmrNbP80e7ruwlteGlr5jztF3EuWcwKxW2ksr0FeNP-UjV-HYcgxHnbLoTiMYP2nF93dlv0kroW8CR1L23CXkFAQxoDS4Ba4ROBvf6sNS290zXApyudPU_qnvGYQNWcZc7QX7ifmOZMoi7FCyJbdxZ7CcULQPHfAB5j72w4WywGT67CsW362RRoRQhG70eWgNHgFAt3o35ByRCX3Rjb7r0ejViK7awfxgXnyE-3o4WdVY2DGTs_reO6Z3gJvDNP8Gu1CB6JCHSHbe5srcRKwLrAObOHIYDutqZ8aRAgamXbDC_bVE048RXDEtrpRTdvUnqCbSBfXwjyNCXmZU1ANCjWgtd_MNC8OP48hjswZ03LzlooGOI0CJKJ9Cp3ecmHyNKieQlQbrwsD-5l0MyzR0wRbKr8X8EN5dezKH1I_awIvK--CFZP47ko5DwS5i1oXe_yYGQcp3lcOgQAVEHJYBrN6AVgPoWuMgrQVUB2ZeXB-4ph1GOgryKSDpbF57V7PAp4sIxJNiczh5EzVLVTjdqaYttMsnYhRIvtbiVNrcD=s250-k-rw-no

Anybody see this pic?
Sorry, Dennis....still can't see pic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom