Corn/Feed Prices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep my corn feeders running all year but cut the time back on them to 4 seconds twice a day in the off season, and it generally doesn’t cost that much to keep them topped off. However, there’s been a steady rise in corn prices over the last several months. I got a shock today when I went to a local feed store. They are selling corn for $11.65/50lbs.:ooh2:

The last I bought was at Tractor Supply about a month ago, and if I remember correctly, it was close to $9 for 40lbs. I went to get a few bags last week, and they were sold out.

It’s getting to the time of the year when I fill my protein feeders, so while I was at the feed store, I priced the 14% All Stock that I use. It’s currently $10.60/bag if I buy a pallet or $10.80 if you buy less. To me, it’s crazy that “manufactured” feed costs less than corn.:scratch:

What’s everyone else seeing price-wise?

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep my corn feeders running all year but cut the time back on them to 4 seconds twice a day in the off season, and it generally doesn’t cost that much to keep them topped off. However, there’s been a steady rise in corn prices over the last several months. I got a shock today when I went to a local feed store. They are selling corn for $11.65/50lbs.:ooh2:

The last I bought was at Tractor Supply about a month ago, and if I remember correctly, it was close to $9 for 40lbs. I went to get a few bags last week, and they were sold out.

It’s getting to the time of the year when I fill my protein feeders, so while I was at the feed store, I priced the 14% All Stock that I use. It’s currently $10.60/bag if I buy a pallet or $10.80 if you buy less. To me, it’s crazy that “manufactured” feed costs less than corn.:scratch:

If you use that much, why not look into buying from a farmer?

The price of corn on the commodities market as I type this is $5.695 a bushel (56 pounds)!

(I refuse to willingly feed the deer!) :)
Unless its lead.......

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you use that much, why not look into buying from a farmer?

The price of corn on the commodities market as I type this is $5.695 a bushel (56 pounds)!

(I refuse to willingly feed the deer!) :)
Unless its lead.......
Logistics and storage are why I don’t buy directly from a farmer. I live 400 miles from my OK place, so timing being up there during harvest is tough. I also don’t have a good way to transport or store bulk corn. I’ve considered buying a bulk feed trailer, but for what the trailer would cost, it would take a lot of savings to amortize the cost out. For now, bagged corn makes sense for me (But not cents).

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will deer eat "All stock sweet feed"?
This All Stock isn’t a sweet feed. It’s just a 1/8” pelleted “horse” feed, and the deer at my places in TX and OK eat it like crazy. Before I put a timer on my protein feeders, the deer would empty a 1000# feeder in 10-12 days.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

that's just about a penny difference in price on the corn

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Logistics and storage are why I don’t buy directly from a farmer. I live 400 miles from my OK place, so timing being up there during harvest is tough. I also don’t have a good way to transport or store bulk corn. I’ve considered buying a bulk feed trailer, but for what the trailer would cost, it would take a lot of savings to amortize the cost out. For now, bagged corn makes sense for me (But not cents).
I do not know what you have in your area, but up here in Oh-Hi-O, there are farmers who bag their grains for peoole to buy and generally have a year-round supply.

One idea is, you can look for a gaylord box that is used to transport plastic pellets in for plastic injection molding!

They are about 4' square.

As long as the grain is cured to proper moisture, you should be ok.

A couple gaylord boxes would probably handle 1000 pounds of corn!

Just a thought! 👍

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Checked in with the Co-op today. Corn is crazy priced at $11.50 a bag. The good news is that 14% cattle creep has only got up .50 to $8.50. Looks like protein is on the plate this year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom