Corn/Feed Prices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So…. What types of native plant food sources do you look for around your hunting area? Mother Nature has to provide for deer and wildlife when you aren’t busy feeding them nitrogen fertilized corn.
A little natural browse and that's about it. No oaks for miles and miles, my areas are all soybeans, corn, winter wheat, milo and alfalfa.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m of the opinion that deer are still fourishing without our intervention. I believe that what we do as hunters is just a “treat” to wildlife. I don’t believe it’s possible or financially practical to feed a wild deer herd enough to have any significant effect except maybe with large year around food plots. I’m sure opinions on this will vary. :anyone:
I can say definitively though that me nor my neighbors are feeding enough to maintain a herd of 130-160# does and 200-300# bucks that grow 150-170“ racks.
Agree 100%. Had a biologist state some stats similar to this "On average, a deer can eat anywhere from 6 to 8% of its body weight every day. That means that a 150-pound deer can eat up to 12 pounds of food per day!".

If a spin feeder throws 5 seconds in the morning and 5 seconds in the evening, it's only dispersing about 2 1/2 lbs of feed. Even double that time and only 5 lbs a day - so definitely just a "treat" and something to lure them in.

Pat Lefemine owns Bowsite.com and here's a link that shows his soybean field in Ohio. He doesn't harvest it - just for deer. I want to think it's a 10-12 acres plot. I bet I’ll find a few sheds here!
One drone picture has 247 deer on the plot!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reason that I ask is because I’m really interested in the concept of planting more native species in urban and rural areas because there are tons of benefits for everything as a whole.

It sounds like it’s possible to replace the current concept of food plots to a more natural food source using native species which could reduce cost and maintenance.

https://www.nwtf.org/conservation/article/go-native-transform-traditional-food-plots
https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2012/03/stop-relying-invasive-weeds-grow-deer/
Thanks for the links. That purple prairie clover looks real interesting. Very deep rooted so it’s drought tolerant and the seeds only run $30 or so dollars a pound and that will do a lot of ground. Perineal too so reseeding isn’t necessary.
The current dry spell we are having isn’t doing my Ladino clover plot any favors.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. That purple prairie clover looks real interesting. Very deep rooted so it’s drought tolerant and the seeds only run $30 or so dollars a pound and that will do a lot of ground. Perineal too so reseeding isn’t necessary.
The current dry spell we are having isn’t doing my Ladino clover plot any favors.
Welcome!

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m glad I listened to you and started putting in ladino clover plots 2 years ago. Between what I seeded the first year and what I got in last fall just ahead of all the rain before it went dry, I’ve got a lot of clover going right now. Needs a drink bad, but it is established and about 3-4 inches tall right now. Deer are on every plot, every day.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m glad I listened to you and started putting in ladino clover plots 2 years ago. Between what I seeded the first year and what I got in last fall just ahead of all the rain before it went dry, I’ve got a lot of clover going right now. Needs a drink bad, but it is established and about 3-4 inches tall right now. Deer are on every plot, every day.
I need to put a grow cage on the clover I've got left. The deer may just be eating it down.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a bush hog yesterday from a guy in Tuttle and got to talking about deer hunting as usually happens, and he has a buddy that owns several feed stores that’s predicting deer corn to be up to $20/bag by fall. I don’t know if the guy has a clue what he’s talking about, but I just thought I’d pass along this “wonderful” information. :censored:
I’ve already shared this with a few guys on here via text, so I apologize for the redundancy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom