Corn/Feed Prices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about putting screen wire on the top of the barrels then snapping the lock rings on? Before putting on the screen wire put in A LOT of moth balls.

I know the moth balls, in connection with the screen wire will keep out rodents and possibly some bugs.

I know I store bagged Native grass for customers like that

gunnut918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question about moisture in barrel. Built feeders from 30 gal steel barrels last year. Filled them August 1st, by end of September lost half of both were to mildew. Cleaned them and refilled. Had no problem after that. Thought would get air circulation by spinner but evidently not enough. With corn price up don’t want that again. Any suggestions.

Farmer925

Marksman
Reaction score
I fill my feeders after labor day weekend and the deer are hitting them by october 1. I haven't had any problems with mildew and such. One time my son didn't get the snap ring on the barrel head properly and ended up with rain water in barrel and mold. Kid wasn't happy having to clean the barrel and replace about 200 pounds of corn. Life lesson........

gunnut918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No leaks. Top half was dry. All bad corn was in bottom and up sides, But none above mid barrel. Not going to completely fill until cooler weather. Anyone run feeders year round and what problems with ruined corn? This may be in wrong forum but is about corn cost. Move if need

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about putting screen wire on the top of the barrels then snapping the lock rings on? Before putting on the screen wire put in A LOT of moth balls.

I know the moth balls, in connection with the screen wire will keep out rodents and possibly some bugs.

I wouldn't mothball feed corn. Deer may not eat it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No leaks. Top half was dry. All bad corn was in bottom and up sides, But none above mid barrel. Not going to completely fill until cooler weather. Anyone run feeders year round and what problems with ruined corn? This may be in wrong forum but is about corn cost. Move if need
I‘ve kept feeders running year around at my place in Oklahoma since 2004 and never had a problem with moisture. Dirt daubers are my biggest problem.

I think the screen idea would work, and you could put the moth balls on top of the screen instead of in the drum.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Condensation forms because temperature difference and moisture.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Since feeders aren't sealed mildew and mold shouldn't be an issue unless something is holding rain water and it cant drain. You can leave wheat or corn out in the rain, spread it out the next day to dry and it won't germinate or mold. Corn in bin storage will be aerated if it's not down into 13%-15% range, and even when the aerators aren't blowing, it's still not air tight. Sealed containers that condensate on inside would be an issue I would think.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom