Corona Virus- Panic Buying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What does one do with barley?

I use it in place of rice since it is lower carb. Anything you can do with rice, you can do with barley. I have made Mexican fried barley, Cilantro lime barley, Chinese shrimp fried barley, etc, etc. Last night I cooked it in chicken broth as a bed for cranberry orange pork loin.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I use it in place of rice since it is lower carb. Anything you can do with rice, you can do with barley. I have made Mexican fried barley, Cilantro lime barley, Chinese shrimp fried barley, etc, etc. Last night I cooked it in chicken broth as a bed for cranberry orange pork loin.

Interesting I'll have to give it a try

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting I'll have to give it a try

It is a little chewy and has a mild nutty flavor, but is the lowest carb grain. I like to make about 2 cups in my rice cooker. Keep it in the frig over night and the next evening make chicken or shrimp fried barley using Sun Bird Fried Rice seasoning mix. Some peas and carrots, green onion, a couple eggs and you are good to go.

If you do not already have one, I highly recommend getting a good rice steamer. Makes cooking rice or barley so much easier. Use the white rice setting for barley. I have the older version of this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aroma-8-Cup-Programmable-Rice-Grain-Cooker-Steamer/19756393

Latest posts

Top Bottom