Correct way of bleeding a fish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth-Vang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw some parasites(?) on the gill of the sheepshead? Leech?? Worms??

Attachments

• IMG_3317.jpeg
    IMG_3317.jpeg
    977.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3318.mov
    39.7 MB

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I catch a lot of big catfish, never "bleed" them, but I typically soak in icy saltwater for a day before packaging.

I have started cutting the gills and putting the fish back in the water to die before cleaning - they die quick that way, I can't tell any benefit from blood loss however.

Those parasites above are leeches. Roll in cornmeal before frying.

J/K

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw some parasites(?) on the gill of the sheepshead? Leech?? Worms??
Common. No big deal. Parasites and worms that live in fish do not harm humans, especially if everything is cooked thoroughly.

You will find that as the summer goes on and gets hotter, the parasite issues in lakes get worse.

Sometimes fish will have little worm things living in the fillets. I usually try to pick them out with the tip of my fillet knife.

JoeGloker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try to bleed all that I can, catfish, spoonbill especially, easiest is to use food shears “ looks like scissors on steroids “ and cut red gills while alive and in the water, very efficient, fast acting too. Always soak in saltwater several times, also remove any red meat or fat. All meat can taste better if you do the proper preparation. Can’t save those that live off sage, just too strong a flavor!!!!
(Deer)

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Common. No big deal. Parasites and worms that live in fish do not harm humans, especially if everything is cooked thoroughly.

You will find that as the summer goes on and gets hotter, the parasite issues in lakes get worse.

Sometimes fish will have little worm things living in the fillets. I usually try to pick them out with the tip of my fillet knife.
off topic, but at dinner a couple weeks ago , my Sister told my Mom the reason why they serve wasabi with sushi... to kill the parasites. My Mother is already skeptical about sushi and when I showed her multiple pages of how that isn't true, I know she'll never eat sushi again, LOL. I even told her that the wasabi they serve at restaurants isn't real Japanese wasabi but a horseradish blend. carry on

Last edited:

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I went with someone to run trotlines on a big lake, the bigger catfish were always hung and the tails were sliced at the right place to let them bleed out before skinning and cleaning them.
I am curious if anyone actually does the "Ike jime" on fish also. I have seen several videos on this but I have never tried it. Some of the videos state that it makes the fish taste better.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I went with someone to run trotlines on a big lake, the bigger catfish were always hung and the tails were sliced at the right place to let them bleed out before skinning and cleaning them.
I am curious if anyone actually does the "Ike jime" on fish also. I have seen several videos on this but I have never tried it. Some of the videos state that it makes the fish taste better.

On catfish, there is a soft spot on top of the head where one can stick the point of a fillet knife in, wiggle it around a bit and they are dead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom