1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

COS, millenial tidal wave ?

Discussion in 'News Links' started by Timmy59, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
  2. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    My only concern with a "convention of states" is what the outcome of that would be. I'm afraid that I'm not so confidant that those "participating" in the convention would create anything better, regardless of their age or of which generation the belong. It certainly wouldn't if many of the current politicians became a part of "writing something new."

3. blake711

blake711 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The millennial's are a dangerous group if people aren't careful. Lots of data is showing they are more likely to volunteer and donate than previous generations. My opinion on that is they are really the first politically correct generation that has been browbeat since they were kids that they have to do something to save something. Without going to far off track, humanity as a whole has had a desire to be apart of something or follow something as long as we have documented our history. As people turn more away from organized religion or religion as a whole they are searching for something.

This makes them ripe to jump into something with both feet and support it to be apart of something bigger than themselves. This has always been the case with whatever current generation of youth there is be it the 60s, 80s or 2000s as their minds are so malleable and they have little life experience. The Millennial's appear different though in that its not a teen early 20s thing they will grow out of its possibly a generational thing. Where the baby boomers IE Hippies grew out of it.

A coworker is big into what is now Scouts BSA what was Boy scouts of America. They are a dying organization especially considering how they have turned on the values they were founded on. Traditionally scouts was a family activity passed on generation to generation. It is predominately white males that have participated with very small percentages of nonwhites. Lots of reasons socioeconomic and cultural being two large ones. Anyway in their dying gasps to stay alive Scouts is going all in on trying to bring in Millennial mothers as they know that is a very active group with money and time that could give them a life line.

dennishoddy and dlmcm like this.
  4. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    As it stands now, one could say we're circling the drain and if one doesn't gamble one can't win.. The last 10 or so years of change has been detrimental, gov is getting bigger and bolder, we need something.. Because we're in OK a red neck type state and not controlled by blue coats I think "we" would fair well.. It would certainly shake up our current way of life..
    https://streetpolitics.us/2017/01/convention-states-movement/
    https://constitution.laws.com/george-mason

5. blake711

blake711 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Timmy my only disagreement is we have been spinning out since the beginning of GW Bush really. The patriot act is one of the largest assaults on our freedoms in my lifetime. Combined with his spending that made drunken sailors look like financial advisors.

Ethan N likes this.
  6. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

The problem is that the Constitution isn't the problem, it's the jake-legged peckerwoods that keep sending useless bloody loonies to DC to ignore it.

There is no upside (the problem is something that legislating can't fix) and there's an intolerable downside (the Constitution could be gutted), so this isn't just a gamble--it's betting on three-card monte in a back alley. The best you can do is hope that you come out of it with your kidneys intact...

dennishoddy, blake711 and Timmy59 like this.
  7. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    One needs to be careful of a convention of the states. There could be unintended consequences far beyond "fixing" a few issues that could have a very direct effect on #1 and #2.
    Personally I don't see it ever happening.

8. Chief Sapulpa

Chief Sapulpa Sharpshooter

We could say the government spend like drunken sailors, but that would be unfair to drunken sailors, because the sailors are spending their own money.”
    — Ronald Reagan

Tanis143 likes this.
  9. Riley

Riley Sharpshooter

I'm not so sure the millennial generation is a sure bet for the left. I noticed on Netanyahu's unprecedented 5th term, his largest block was young, 19 to 26 or something voters. The older population voted against him. Kids are seeking knowledge and making an effort to dertime the truthfullnes of that information. In my opinion, that leads only one direction.

10. Ethan N

Ethan N Sharpshooter

I agree that the problem is in who we vote for, but given where we find ourselves, with rampant abuse of federal power due to an ignorant and foolish electorate, amending the constitution could still help limit the damage that can be done through electing poor leadership. I think it’s the foolishness of the electorate itself that calls for greater limits on the government. We can no longer trust the American people to elect a government that can be entrusted with the powers that it has been for so long, so we should take some of those powers away.

Also, the risks of a convention have been overstated. The Convention of States site has a lot of good information on why a constitutional convention carries little risk of gutting the Constitution, as you say.