Cost estimating an Elk hunt in CO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking through the ads today and saw a posting for a elk hunt in OK on private property for $4000. I've been considering making a trip to CO for an elk hunt in the next year or two and after seeing that price I started wondering how much a self planned elk hunt to CO would cost.

For those of you who have done it can you give me a more or less estimate of what you spent? If I did it, it would be camping out and not staying in a hotel so gas and over the counter tags, but what else beside the usual food, gear, ice, etc.

Is it just me or does it not seem you could do a pretty nice "Do it yourself" trip for under $4000 if you already have all the gear?

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done 7-8 DIY Elk hunts in CO. My average costs is right at $1k. Thats splitting fuel with a couple of guys and having the equipment already. I have quite a bit invested in equipment such as packs, tent, sleeping bags/pads etc.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A DIY hunt may save you some money but you may also end up spending money and effort while getting nothing in return. Unless you have the odds in your favor, like a spot that a buddy owns with pre-scouted land and the hard offseason work done, then i would stick to a guided or semi guided hunt unless you know what you're doing.

I've been looking into a horseback hunting trip in CO, prices seem to start at $5,500 and go up. You can hunt in multiple plains game in South Africa for that...

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately, with my family of four, it would be a struggle to spend that amount on my hunt. Now 1-2K would be doable as long as I did my part and didn't buy any new guns until the hunt. I have quite a bit of gear and would probably only require a few additional items. Maybe I need to work to join up with some others that are looking for the same as myself.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done 7-8 DIY Elk hunts in CO. My average costs is right at $1k. Thats splitting fuel with a couple of guys and having the equipment already. I have quite a bit invested in equipment such as packs, tent, sleeping bags/pads etc.
I may be contacting you to pick your brain a little if that's OK with you......

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking at a DIY CO hunt as well. Maybe next year I'll have enough points to draw WY elk. CO is closer, but I have no clue where to go. slas, if you go the DIY route I hope you post your plans and results.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried it twice and never fired a shot. The first time, there were two of us and we each had tags for bull elk and buck deer. Neither of us scored. That was literally 40+ years ago around Williams Creek Reservoir. (Yeah, I'm an official old fart.) The second time, we stayed with and hunted with some friends who lived near Bayfield. This time, bull tags only. Still, no shots fired. I wish you luck. Let us know how it goes.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know what its like today, but 40 years ago on the public land by Trinidad they herded the elk to private land before season and only left the culls on the public area. A lot of hunters for a few crappy elk. Run down the road to CFI land and glass hundreds safely grazing.
You wanted a good hunt on private land you had to pay!

Latest posts

Top Bottom