Cost of lumber in 1933 for great grandpas 12x40 "museum" building

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So this is a building my great grandpa built and is still standing on the property I'm at. He bought the "kit" as shown on the reciept and the rest is trim he added. It's 12x40 w/ 10ft walls, cedar shingle siding, a door and window on the front, a large window on the back and 4 windows on each side. Later it was referred to as his museum building as he filled it with taxidermy, primitives, Indian artifacts and his various collections. Local schools would actually occasionally take field trips to it and he would show them some of the stuff. He would have built this when he was 23. Several years later he went to California for a few years to find work and his brother did him a "favor" and painted it white and the family had been dealing with repainting it regularly ever since. Some day I'd like to redo the siding back to raw cedar shingles but couldn't imagine the cost to do that nowadays. He originally built it about a mile from here, then when they bought this property they moved it here. It comes apart in the middle so they moved each 12x20 half individually then put it back together.

For those of you who saw my paint sprayer thread, this building is the main reason I asked about them. It's due for another paint job and I couldn't imagine doing it by hand with a brush even though that's how it's been done for decades.

There's no real point to this thread, just thought it was cool and that my grandpa still had the receipt from when his dad built it nearly 90 years ago.
30175403653166.jpeg

30176207271777.jpeg

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of other factors go in to something like that cool building, like they don’t make lumber the same way, as in dimensional or quality, but in general, here’s an idea of the price changes.
  • The dollar had an average inflation rate of 3.50% per year between 1933 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 1,970.73% . This means that today's prices are 20.71 times higher than average prices since 1933, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index. A dollar today only buys 4.83% of what it could buy back then.

$1 in 1933 → 2022 | Inflation Calculator

70E5AF4E-7E85-4CBE-B263-E8F55B06CBE4.jpeg

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BUT! Try building that building today for $6400! This is so cool you have the providence and the actual building is still up! Thanks for posting this!
No kidding. I would bet that an equivalent quality of lumber is not available and if it was, I would expect to pay 4-5 times the $6400 and that’s building it myself. My gosh, the cost to have someone else build it to the same spec would be the cost of a house today.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very cool

I moved into my Grandparents house, several years after Grandma passed.

Cleaning up, I found a bank payment book where Papa had borrowed $17.50 for a YEAR, in 1933, to buy a tractor tire.

He was 25 yo, a roughneck, working the night shift on the rig and farming cotton during the day. Had a new baby. Had just gotten a used tractor and rebuilt the motor. He had been plowing with mules.
They were married in Oct 1929, 2 weeks before the crash.

They were a different breed than today's 20 somethings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom