Could stopping "viruses" really be this simple???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had previously posted about using zicam and products like it in an attempt to prevent cold & flu viruses from thriving and spreading in the nasopharynx. There is clinically researched evidence that these types of products can shorten the duration & reduce the severity of cold and flu viruses (corona, rhino, influenza family, etc.).

However, a specific ingredient in very common cold & flu drugstore remedies has caught my eye. Could this be the key to preventing a "cold virus" from becoming more sever and migrating to the lungs???

Pelargonium sidoides

Found in products like these & more which are commonly available at drugstores, health food stores, etc.

https://www.naturesway.com/products/umcka-cold-flu-chewableshttps://www.naturesway.com/products/umcka-coldcare-chewableshttps://www.naturesway.com/products/umcka-coldcare-kids-chewableshttps://www.amazon.com/Integrative-Therapeutics-Relief-Flavored-Chewables/dp/B08QM6DXVT/
There is a lot of info out there and of course the studies are on viruses before the current novel viruse arose, but logical thinking begs the question if having something a simple as a OTC cold "reduction" formula (especially if combined with other things that are already known such as vitamin C, zinc, elderberry, etc.) could stop a virus from ever entering your lungs were it otherwise may have.

Could this be a an effective EARLY treatment that could have saved lives or still can??? The research says yes on cold viruses in general...you be the judge on whether this is worth keeping in your medicine cabinet...I know I would have loved to have had it for the many past colds and a few flus I've endured and I plan to try it at the first sign on any new symptoms regardless which virus it may be :)

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphar.2021.666546/full

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just because a product advertises itself with photos of fruits and is "from nature" does not make it safe. It is best first researched by scientisits and then, if proven effective, used under the direction of a physician who can take all the nuances of a patient's situation into account.

Sorry to be a critic, but here are some of the possible hazards of products made from Pelargonium sidoides
Possibly Unsafe: In patients with liver disease or who are using hepatotoxic agents,
as umckaloabo contains coumarin, which may cause hepatotoxicity (Kolodziej et al.,
2003). In patients with blood disorders or who are using anticoagulants or antiplatelets,
as umckaloabo contains coumarin, and concurrent use may increase bleeding risks
(Kolodziej et al., 2003). In patients with heart conditions, as umckaloabo may cause
tachycardia or circulatory failure (de Boer et al., 2007). In patients with asthma or
other respiratory conditions, as umckaloabo has been reported to cause bronchospasm
or dyspnea in humans (de Boer et al., 2007).
•Likely Unsafe: In patients with a known allergy/hypersensitivity to umckaloabo, its
constituents, or members of the plant family Geraniaceae.

Doses are based on those most commonly used in available trials or in historical
practice. However, with natural products the optimal doses necessary to balance efficacy
and safety are often not clear. Preparation of products may vary from manufacturer to
manufacturer, and from batch to batch within one manufacturer. The standardization
may not be possible, and the clinical effects of different brands may not be comparable
because the active components of a product are often not clear. (PDF) An Evidence-Based Systematic Review of Umckaloabo ( Pelargonium sidoides ) by the Natural Standard Research Collaboration

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just because a product advertises itself with photos of fruits and is "from nature" does not make it safe. It is best first researched by scientisits and then, if proven effective, used under the direction of a physician who can take all the nuances of a patient's situation into account.

Sorry to be a critic, but here are some of the possible hazards of products made from Pelargonium sidoides
Drugs approved by the FDA have lists of possible side effects just as scary as those.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely.... almost any approved drug can kill or sicken you if taken in the wrong amount or there is something in your particular health situation that poses a risk.....This is why we have doctors able to discern what drugs and how much to use tailored to your particular health circumstances.

Last edited:

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely.... almost any approved drug can kill or sicken you if taken in the wrong amount or there is something in your particular health situation that poses a risk.....This is why we have doctors able to discern what drugs and how much to use tasilored to your particular health circumstances.

I think sometimes they use the Magic 8 Ball for discernment. In this day and age there is no reason why you shouldn’t already be informed before you get to the doctors office.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think sometimes they use the Magic 8 Ball for discernment. In this day and age there is no reason why you shouldn’t already be informed before you get to the doctors office.
Yes. I think in most cases we have access to the same info through the Internet that doctors do. They probably have guidelines on what they can and can't recommend. Sometimes I get an automated response after the visit that I feel sure is generated by the software they use, based on my results, etc.
I'm trying to think of something my primary care dr. has told me that I didn't already know about, drawing a blank right now.
Sometimes he says here are the risks, decide for yourself, which is good.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate my dr. and his input, but I don't call him every time I want to take an over the counter med or supplement.
Maybe if I had multiple chronic health issues it would be different.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of something my primary care dr. has told me that I didn't already know about, drawing a blank right now.
I thought of something he told me I didn't already know!
During one visit I told him I sometimes would take a Benadryl before bed to help me sleep.
He said that's fine, but looking at his computer, he said he was supposed to advise me that people over 65 shouldn't take too much Benadryl for some reason (can't remember right now). He seemed to think it was silly that he had to tell me that. I agreed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom