Counter top questions. Granite??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granite guy charles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is *kinda * true. In reality, this only applies to a water based sealer, which is cheaper and what most installers use. Look at it like this.... take a piece of glass. Put soap and water on it... well, the water evaporated and soap remained. Well, same for the water based topical sealer. Over time and use of solivent cleaning chemicals this will strip this top coat away. Now if you use a oil based sealer/impregnator, this won't happen as oil will not evaporate. The pro is that they act as a penetrating sealer, have wonderful stain resistance, and last up to 35yrs. The downsides are that they will darken the stone and cost 2x more. Take a stone and hold it under water, that's what it will look like with a oil sealer, water based doesn't change the color.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is *kinda * true. In reality, this only applies to a water based sealer, which is cheaper and what most installers use. Look at it like this.... take a piece of glass. Put soap and water on it... well, the water evaporated and soap remained. Well, same for the water based topical sealer. Over time and use of solivent cleaning chemicals this will strip this top coat away. Now if you use a oil based sealer/impregnator, this won't happen as oil will not evaporate. The pro is that they act as a penetrating sealer, have wonderful stain resistance, and last up to 35yrs. The downsides are that they will darken the stone and cost 2x more. Take a stone and hold it under water, that's what it will look like with a oil sealer, water based doesn't change the color.

thanks for the update. We researched this 5 years ago. It appears there have been some improvements.

granite guy charles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really, they had the.same things available back then. It is easier and cheaper to seal with water based, keep the color of the slab that you picked intact, and put the maintenance disclaimer on the customer . You would be shocked what people will do to countertops. I had one guy rebuild his motorcycle tranny on thasos white granite. (Yes, we got thd red oil stains out.... plaster of paris works wonders). Quartz is nice, is not stain or fade proof, but other than Dekton, is about as maintenance free as you can get. Resale on the other hand,.... ask your wife if she would rather have a good diamond, or the world's best cubic zirconia.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really, they had the.same things available back then. It is easier and cheaper to seal with water based, keep the color of the slab that you picked intact, and put the maintenance disclaimer on the customer . You would be shocked what people will do to countertops. I had one guy rebuild his motorcycle tranny on thasos white granite. (Yes, we got thd red oil stains out.... plaster of paris works wonders). Quartz is nice, is not stain or fade proof, but other than Dekton, is about as maintenance free as you can get. Resale on the other hand,.... ask your wife if she would rather have a good diamond, or the world's best cubic zirconia.
LOL, My wife is "economical" She would take the Zirconia.
Quartz does not allow hi temp pots to be applied to the surface. It's a glue that supports the aggregate in the top.
I know you know that, but some don't.Just posted for info.

granite guy charles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you married the unicorn!!!! Lucky man!

...pssst, hot pans can sit on it (well.. on Silestone and Viatera quartz. Its not the heat, it's the thermal shock that gets it... going off memory (Which is hazy ...lol) is sit nothing hotter than a lit match. Crockpot and electric skillets sitting directly on it is a no no. Don't forget kids, always use protection..hehe (a trivet).. One more pro for quartz... anti bacterial, hypo allergenic, anti microbial and is rated for food service applications. And as it pains me to admit, granite doesn't have that.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to make a choice in countertops. Do you want to be required to do maintenance annually, or have maintenance free.
We went quartz.
Oh I agree. Problem is, Nothing but Adamantium, is kid proof. And in my case, that applies to my wife as well. If I had my way, The floors and walls would be sealed aluminum tread plate with a drain in the center of every room. Just cover the furniture with plastic and hose it down once a week. But I'm sure they would still manage to break somthin.

I cant have nice things!!!! LOL

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We went with quartz. We walked the Tulsa home show once with my wife wanting granite.
I did a lot of looking on the internet before we went.
Granite has to be manually sealed annually. Even if it is sealed, red wine (as an example)will stain it.
100 percent of the contractors at that show agreed with me.

I've never sealed ours in 17 years, and trust me, my wife spills red wine on it regularly, not a single stain on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom