Counter top questions. Granite??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_8943.JPG
I've never sealed ours in 17 years, and trust me, my wife spills red wine on it regularly, not a single stain on it.

Agree...this is near white Quartz and has everything from red wine and ketchup on it (sometimes overnight) and there isn't a hint of stain anywhere. Never been sealed and we don't "Baby" it.

I like the mitered edge on the island; don think you can get that look with granite?

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is our 4th house with granite countertops. We have granite in both bathrooms and on the kitchen island where the sink is also located and where we do most of our food prep. In this house we opted for flat black Formica on the remainder of the kitchen counters to eliminate the glare from the under-cabinet lighting - and to keep the cost down.

We're quite pleased with our choices, being both utilitarian and aesthetic. Yes, we built this kitchen ourselves.

Woody

2017-04-10 E 840 Rd Kitchen Finished 004.JPG
2017-04-10 E 840 Rd Kitchen Finished 005.JPG
2017-04-10 E 840 Rd Kitchen Finished 006.JPG

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't get granite if........
1. You have kids, they ruin everything!!!!
2. If you walk through the house and continually find crap broken, you ask who broke it, when it was broken, and all you get is shrugs from the kids and spouse

Engineered Quartz is near kid and spouse proof
LOL. This is why we are looking now. My kids are finally grown. Everything I have is broken, but I could not see the point in fixing any of it. Kids would just break it again.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've had granite for 10+ years. We do nothing to it whatsoever other than wipe it off with a wet rag. We put sealer on it in the beginning but noticed no real difference. I'd call it maintainence free. It will get small "pits" if you drop/hit it hard; you can't really see them but you can feel them.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've had granite for 5 years with no problems. It came with our new house and still looks new. Nothing wrong w/quartz.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got granite, we bought this house and it came with it, but we've had no issues and we've done nothing to them. Either way, I will be doing quartz on the next house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom