Counties in Oklahoma with no building permits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rj ︈

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy y'all,

In the next year or so, I'd like to buy some land and build a pole barn house. I'm open to many areas but would love to be southwest of OKC, near Tuttle. I haven't done much research as it is still probably 8-12 months out but would be curious to know if anybody has any experience with getting approvals to build a post frame home in their county.

Last edited:

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was fairly certain in or around 2009-2010 that all counties in Oklahoma had to enforce building codes via a permitting system for anything with electricity over 96 sq ft.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had no inspections on our house build completed last year. We are in Canadian County just outside Piedmont city limits.

Sadly, our builder leveraged that a bit and we are working through getting some stuff corrected on our own.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think my county has any building permits or inspections except for sewer and that is done by the state to my understanding

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Inspections really aren’t hard to pass if you’re out a bit even if they’re required. They are good ol boys out in those areas and usually aren’t invested in jamming you up.

If you wanna be truly off grid, you can also do shipping containers and no one will balk because they’re designed to be moved. If you put the windows in the ends, you can close them all up and look like nothing and that’s also safer if you’re not there full time.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found this link. Not sure how helpful.

https://www.ok.gov/oubcc/Jurisdictions/Counties/
According to that, only Oklahoma and Delaware counties have any building regulations. On the one hand, I'm surprised Cleveland county doesn't, but then again I'm not, as the county commissioners are a hell of a lot more conservative than the city governments in the county.

At least the county commissioner whose district covers east Norman gives a damn about its residents, unlike the city government.

Latest posts

Top Bottom