Couple of good questions (I hope)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’m getting reeeeeaaal close to starting reloading. Have my components (sorta), dies, and soon a press. Few more odds and ends and I’m on my way. I have a few questions at this point. Did some searching, can’t find anything in previous posts.
So here’s my questions:

I understand trying to reload steel case isnt really worth it, but I have a ton of steel case x39. What is the community brain opinion on knocking bullets and powder out and dropping my own powder and bullet in? I’ll be leaving the berdan primer intact and tossing the case after shot. I’m not talking about REloading, simply removing bullets and powder and replacing with my own brew. I don’t have a ton of x39 brass, and would be interested in doing this and dropping in some Hornady SSTs into my existing primed steel cases.

As mentioned before, I have or will soon have most of the stuff needed. I do need to figure out what’s gonna work in the way of a trickler and a scale. I don’t wanna go cheap, but I don’t want to blow a ton of money getting these. Any bang for the buck suggestions I won’t have to replace for a few years?

Testing my reloaded ammo: how? I understand I’ll likely need to buy a chrono, but should there be a preference shown to my testing platform? For example, testing my 223 loads in a bolt gun vs an AR? Likewise with semi autos vs revolvers. I’m looking to reload 9mm, 10mm, 40sw, 223, 762x39, 308, and 38spl/357 mag. For the semi auto calibers I have either a bolt gun or a revolver for it as well as a semi auto platform.

I have the most recent lymans reloading book. Will it do me good to get different brands/ages of books for more info? I find that some of the bullets I have aren’t in my book.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions later, but this is all I have at the moment.

I wanted to post these quotes I found in previous posts as well, just for old times sake.
AIM has wolf 9mm for $85 case of 500.

Dansammo.us has Wolf Polyformance for $194.50/case, shipping was just over $26 to my place. Figured I'd pick up a case at that price (probably should have grabbed two)

Can someone create a time machine so we can go back to the good ol days?

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Most steel case ammo is burdan, brass is generally box . you can reload burdan with box primers but you have to modify the primer pocket . Removing the primer can be done with hydraulics, look at you tube . I got lucky right before Covid and found a bunch of brass ammo to keep me going for a while before I have to find more . Be careful if you find brass ammo as well ,there is south african ammo out there that is burdan as well

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most steel case ammo is burdan, brass is generally box . you can reload burdan with box primers but you have to modify the primer pocket . Removing the primer can be done with hydraulics, look at you tube . I got lucky right before Covid and found a bunch of brass ammo to keep me going for a while before I have to find more . Be careful if you find brass ammo as well ,there is south african ammo out there that is burdan as well
I’m not looking at pulling primers though, simply taking some of my steel FMJ ammo and pulling the bullet and powder, and then dropping my own bullet and powder into the berdan primed steel case.

Reloading Rod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with what your wanting to try. I've done it before because I didn't want to loose brass casings while pig hunting in southern Oklahoma, and didn't have any hp steel cased ammo

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not looking at pulling primers though, simply taking some of my steel FMJ ammo and pulling the bullet and powder, and then dropping my own bullet and powder into the berdan primed steel case.

Are you trying to make a hunting round or something? Or are you just curious ?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with what your wanting to try. I've done it before because I didn't want to loose brass casings while pig hunting in southern Oklahoma, and didn't have any hp steel cased ammo

awesome, thank you!

Are you trying to make a hunting round or something? Or are you just curious ?

there’s a little curiosity involved, but I am primarily looking at an opportunity to make some effective economical hunting rounds with better quality, more consistent results.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didja buy the Dillon 750 or are you going a different route? I think I'm going to get a 750 so my brand new in the box Lyman All American 8 will be for sale.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didja buy the Dillon 750 or are you going a different route? I think I'm going to get a 750 so my brand new in the box Lyman All American 8 will be for sale.
I’m buying the Lyman press just dropped in the classifieds. I would love a progressive, but I honestly don’t see myself shooting so much to make it worth the investment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom