Couple of good questions (I hope)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you have 2 or more arms, that use the caliber, BUT operate at different levels (ie. bolt action vs. gas operated; old Colt vs Ruger Blackhawk) IF you load to MAX for one, but same load is WAY OVER MAX for the other; make them easily identifiable!

Max level hunting bullet in bolt action hunting loads, but AK gets FMJ ONLY.
Even in the same gun, MY .30-30 hunting loads are in Winchester brass and JSP, but plunking loads, for 9yo grandson, are Federal brass and a RED powder-coated bullet.
.45C hunting loads are black powder coated, cowboy action loads are red.
.357 loads are lime green hunting loads 158gr, red self defense loads 125gr and purple cowboy loads 102gr.

I have 1 bullet, red powder coated 115gr .308 plunking bullet that is loaded in .30-06, .30-30, and .30Carbine.

Above all, keep good records.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the beam scales-- I have a Dillon and RCBS (as a back up) beam scales I bought used -- Dillon repaired ( replaced most of the parts) my beam scale when it would not zero.

There is something about electronic scales and fluorescent lighting -- plus electronic are very drop friendly.

Case gauge -- I case gauge every round -- gives me another opportunity to check the rounds prior to going to the range.

Rayce

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reload manuals, you can never have to many in my opinion. Out of all of them, I prefer Hornady, they offer more powders for a load than any other manual. But if I can get a used manual for a good price, I buy them. This is important so you can start mid range for semi auto fed firearms. For 9mm, 45 acp etc.
make up 5 or 10 rounds then go test fire them. Make sure they function in the desired way. You may need a little more or little less powder to make the firearm work as desired. The primer tells the story for pressure. Always inspect the spent casing for pressure signs on the primer. Round edges on the primer means you are doing good. Sharp edge, looks like you smashed the edges flat while pressing the primer in, means you are high pressure.
I always make an index card with the load data I use so I can make notes and/or changes to the load.
Caliber to reload
Bullet type and weight
Brass casing used
Primer used
Powder and weight used
Cas over all length
Shell holder
Do not exceed charge weight for the load.
Once I change to a different die, the index card goes into the die box for next time.

Did I say I like manuals?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a few more questions, but first, I wanted to let you guys know (those who don’t know at least) that I have compiled a google drive with reloading manuals, casting info, and the like. You can find it here:
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/i-compiled-a-bunch-of-goodies-for-you-guys.311378/

When asking Ruger about my Ranch Rifle in x39 I got this response:
We are currently producing our 7.62 x 39 barrels to SAAMI specification. This means that the bore diameter is 0.300 and the groove diameter is 0.311.
With that info, I should only load .311 projectiles, right? 308 will be too small? What about .310, .3105, and .312 projectiles? What kind of tolerance window do I have?

im also interested in loading larger,longer projectiles in this platform, such as 170-180gr soft points. Tips for developing such a load without much info floating around?

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have loaded .307" in my .308 and they shot excellent.
Many people have shot smaller diameter and larger diameter bullets in different rifles with good success.

If it was my rifle I would not limit it to one diameter I would try a few different bullets until I found one the rifle really likes.
Especially if I had different diameter bullets to try.

Latest posts

Top Bottom