Couple questions: Precision loading 6.5 creedmoor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you guys have had personal experience :smash: with these topics please weigh in your technique or what seems to work the best for you.

First off, I have been doing some somewhat basic reloading for a year or so. I've mainly just loaded for AR's and handguns. Recently I acquired a custom precision rifle in the 6.5 creedmoor. I am wanting to learn how you guys prefer to find the depth of the lands. I know that seating depth will change with different projectiles. I also know that pressure spikes are likely to happen as one gets closer to the lands. What procedures do you follow when developing the correct seating depth for a precision rifle when a magazine length makes no difference?

Second, for a working, hunting, or "tactical" rifle would you both FL size and neck size?

Lastly, regarding powder choices, have any of you found anything better than H4350 or RL-17?

Some of this information is found through Google or other sources, I'm just curious what you guys have found personally.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people like the Honady modified case method found here: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/38...verall-length-gage-modified-case-65-creedmoor

Although this will work I find it doesn't give you the most accurate method due to the fact that you are not using a fired formed case from your rifle.

I believe the best method is to use a fired formed case from your rifle with a slightly resized neck (just enough case neck tension that the bullet will seat itself as the round is chambered but will still extract and retain the bullet in the case without moving). Use only one bullet from your lot and take several measurements. These measurements should be from the base of the case to the ogive (point where the bullet bearing surface meets the the curvature of the nose). There are many makers of these type of measuring devices and no two will measure the same due to machining tolerances. I've used this method several times. Bryan Litz wrote two very good articles about it here

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/cartridge-overall-length-I-1.php
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/cartridge-overall-length-II-1.php

When I reload I neck size only for 2-3 firings and then I full length resize. There are valid arguments for both neck size only vs full length size but I would go with whatever works best in your rifle.

As far as powder I prefer Hodgons Extreme powders due to their reliability with temperature extremes. I have had very good results with using H1000 for my 7WSM and H4350 from my Rem. 260. Sorry I can't help you with the RL-17.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried just neck sizing..The brass will grow longer in the shoulder each time you fire it when neck sizing until you get a stiff bolt ..at this point it will grow very little in the shoulder datum point. after 6 or so reloads No more growth there but the case neck length will grow at about .0005" per firing.

This is what i got in my .308 when Testing.. The neck sized rounds were less accurate than FLS rounds.

BUT my FLS die has been honed and polished to minimally resize the case.. no more than .001" resized anywhere on the case. .0005" or less in most spots.

I measure shoulder set back after FLS and keep that to .001" or less I prefer less.

To find lands I do like Jcann . I seat a bullet in a case with minimal neck tension..This bullet is colored with a sharpie.
I chamber it and remove and look for witness marks.. keep seating deeper until no marks are present.. That will be totally off the lands.

Some bullets like to jump .040" or more and some like to be jammed .. Test Test Test.
Some guns do not play by the rules. Enjoy the shooting.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It isn't overly hard to find a decent load as you may think. I do not load 6.5cm, but instead 6.5x47. Best thing I could tell you is if your barrel is a 1:8 twist pick up some Berger 140 hybrids. Find the distance to your lands and load your rounds with a slight jam to start testing. I use varget in my cartridge and some use it in the creedmoor, others like h4350. What you are looking for to begin with is your absolute max pressure with a specific bullet, powder, primer combo. I load 1 round of each charge weight starting low to high increasing never more than .2gr until I find a max pressure. A chronograph is handy hear as well.

After you find max pressure for the combo you run, if the 140 hybrids then back them off .020" from the lands and begin whatever method you want to find an accurate load. My favorite method is using a chronograph and starting low working my way to .5gr less the max pressure. I usually run a coarse test first with .4 or .5 increments while recording velocity and group size and position relative to point of aim. I am looking for groups that shoot the same POI with the different charge weights. After this I will play around between two charge weights and find the lowest SD to determine my load. Next I run them at 600y or 1000y to truly see what the combo tells me.

Another way I like to do this is just shoot for groups at 600y using the same method, it makes bad nodes really stick out.

I typed this fairly quick so if it doesn't make sense then please just ask away.

Also I use FL bushing dies to Bump my shoulders back .001" at a time stressing the brass as little as possible. Other than that nothing special is done for loading.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also I am not sure what fireformed brass has to do with finding your lands, but hornady recommends you to fire a case in your chamber and send it to them to have it modified for use with their gauge. These methods have worked for me well beyond 1000y.

Latest posts

Top Bottom