Covey Bean passes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I miss Covey’s articles too. I took him on several fishing trips for crappie and bluegill when he needed a story for Sunday. I especially remember a trip I took him on to Arcadia for Spring crappie fishing. I took him to an area that had been producing pretty well for me. We caught quite a few and he said he needed some pictures to go with the story. I positioned the boat so he had a nice background for the picture. The article came out that Sunday and it was a great story. A day or so later I went back to the same area to see if the fish were still there. There were 5 boats parked in a circle on that spot. I guess everybody knew the spot. I chuckled to myself and continued to go farther back into the cove and anchored where I had been fishing with him and caught more fish while all the boats were virtually skunked.
I also remember taking Covey to American Horse for bluegill along with my son, Drew, who was around 8 or 9 yrs old. We all caught a good basket of bluegills and red ears. Covey set Drew up for several pictures and on Sunday he was holding a nice fish for the camera. The picture appeared many years later in Field & Stream or Outdoor Life. Drew is now 43 and Maddox, his son, age 8 will be going to American Horse for his first serious round of perch jerkin.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I miss Covey’s articles too. I took him on several fishing trips for crappie and bluegill when he needed a story for Sunday. I especially remember a trip I took him on to Arcadia for Spring crappie fishing. I took him to an area that had been producing pretty well for me. We caught quite a few and he said he needed some pictures to go with the story. I positioned the boat so he had a nice background for the picture. The article came out that Sunday and it was a great story. A day or so later I went back to the same area to see if the fish were still there. There were 5 boats parked in a circle on that spot. I guess everybody knew the spot. I chuckled to myself and continued to go farther back into the cove and anchored where I had been fishing with him and caught more fish while all the boats were virtually skunked.
I also remember taking Covey to American Horse for bluegill along with my son, Drew, who was around 8 or 9 yrs old. We all caught a good basket of bluegills and red ears. Covey set Drew up for several pictures and on Sunday he was holding a nice fish for the camera. The picture appeared many years later in Field & Stream or Outdoor Life. Drew is now 43 and Maddox, his son, age 8 will be going to American Horse for his first serious round of perch jerkin.

That's a nice story.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ed Godfrey calls occasionally when he needs some help on an article too. Ed has been a long time friend as well. I was talking to Richard Hatcher today and he told me a story that tickled me. He was down at headquarters yesterday at the Rack Madness event and,apparently there were 500-600 people in attendence when a fella walked up to him and said " I heard your elk hunt didn't go so good this year". Richard looked at him dumbfounded. He had no clue who the man was or how he knew so he just asked him " Who are you"?????? It was Sticky Stokes, chief legal council for ODWC. They both laughed as he didn't recognize him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom