Coward of Broward arrested

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Florida resource officer who didn't enter school during shooting massacre is arrested
A Message from Pier 1

2 hours ago
Video
Former Marjory Stoneman Douglas High resource officer Scot Peterson, 56, was arrested Tuesday on charges relating to failure to enter the school during the mass shooting there.

He was charged in Broward County with seven counts of neglect of a child, three counts of culpable negligence and one of perjury after a 15-month investigation, according to a news release from Florida authorities.

The charges carry a combined potential prison sentence of nearly 100 years for the officer blasted by many critics as the "Coward of Broward."

TAMMY BRUCE: TRUMP CELEBRATES LGBT PRIDE MONTH AND THE LEFT JUST WANTS TO KEEP STIRRING UP DIVISION

Peterson’s bail was set at $102,000.

Once released, Peterson will be required to wear a GPS monitor and surrender his passport, and will be prohibited from possessing a firearm, the prosecutor said.

Deputy-Scot-Peterson-REUTERS.jpg

Peterson faces child neglect, culpable negligence and perjury charges that carry a combined potential prison sentence of nearly 100 years. (REUTERS, File)

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) "investigation shows former deputy Peterson did absolutely nothing to mitigate the MSD shooting that killed 17 children, teachers and staff and injured 17 others,” said FDLE Commissioner Rick Swearingen. “There can be no excuse for his complete inaction and no question that his inaction cost lives.”

Investigators interviewed 184 witnesses and reviewed hours of video surveillance to determine the response of law enforcement, Fox 13reported.

"It’s never too late for accountability and justice,” Broward County Sheriff Gregory Tony said.

Tony said Peterson has been formally fired, although he announced his retirement shortly after the shooting.

Republican Sen. Rick Scott said in a statement: “Had this individual done his job, lives would have been saved. Actions (or inaction) have consequences. We need more accountability, and that includes at the FBI, which has yet to show me a single example of how they’ve improved their processes following the failures in the leadup to the Parkland shooting.”

Ryan Petty, the father of slain student Alaina Petty, said in a statement, “Today marks another step in the search for accountability. … Peterson failed in his duty to protect lives that day, standing behind a cement pillar for 48 minutes while students and teachers were slaughtered.”

Fred Guttenberg, another father of a victim, tweeted: “I have no comment except to say rot in hell Scott Petersen. You could have saved some of the 17. You could have saved my daughter. You did not and then you lied about it and you deserve the misery coming your way.”

Peterson lawyer Joseph DiRuzzo III didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. In the past, he has defended Peterson’s conduct as justified under the circumstances.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Alleged gunman Nikolas Cruz, 20, faces the death penalty if convicted of the first-degree murder charges filed in the attack. His lawyers have said Cruz will plead guilty in return for a life sentence, but prosecutors have refused that offer.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.I also seem to recall sherrif Scott Israel told his deputys to not engage the shooter.He was later fired but I don't believe he got any jail time, he should.

Orders or not, that low life pond scum wearing a badge and a yellow stripe a mile long should have ran towards the sound of gunshots on the first one. I hope the prosecutors make no deals and have him face the max sentence. Lives were lost on his watch by his blatant act of cowardice so he deserves a jail cell with pictures of those 17 lost permanently fixed in his jail cell and illuminated 24/7.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I hole heartedly agree with this, it will be interesting to see this play out as the SCOTUS has repeatedly ruled that the individual officer doesn't have a duty to protect an individual from harm. Perjury is a slam dunk and I hope that if this sticks others like the former sheriff are taken down too.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I hole heartedly agree with this, it will be interesting to see this play out as the SCOTUS has repeatedly ruled that the individual officer doesn't have a duty to protect an individual from harm. Perjury is a slam dunk and I hope that if this sticks others like the former sheriff are taken down too.

I believe that case dealt with general patrol. However he was assigned as a guard to the school, this is a different role than just being a patrol officer. It would be the same as if they were assigned to guard a prisoner and a victim's family member walked up with a gun. They can't just turn and run, they were assigned to guard that prisoner's life, wretched as it is. This lousy excuse for a deputy was assigned to guard those children's lives and he willfully neglected that duty.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The coward collected pay for NOT doing his job and children died because he failed in his job and he failed them. It is only appropriate that he pays society a debt he owes. Now on to bigger fish...

Latest posts

Top Bottom