Cowboy Fastdraw…anyone shoot it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking at some Cowboy Fast Draw videos online and looks fun. Seem they use SAA guns in 45LC, the brass is modified to accept a Shotgun 209 primer and then use wax for bullets. There’s a couple targets and timers etc available and looks like a lot of fun for inside the shop in the winter etc. anyone in OKC area shoot it? Anyone know what the best entry level gun might be? (I assume there’s people who clean up the actions etc on the umberti guns, I’m thinking I need to give this a try this winter.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen a couple matches, but it’s not my cup of tea - those contortions to get into position to shoot look really contrived. Not at all what I’d expect to see in a fast draw shootout in front of the saloon at high noon. But you might check with Jimmy Spurs about pistols slicked up for those matches. Cowboy Gun Works If he doesn’t do such, he probably knows who will.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only cowboy fast draw I've actually seen was on TV several years ago. Don't remember whether it was an ad for a match, or a news item about one. I do remember the guy was shooting steel, and incredibly fast. And he weren't no spring chicken either. :D

Pretty sure he was using a .22 SA revolver. Maybe there are different caliber categories? Or does caliber even matter?

Color me clueless...
:drunk2:
___

Hyde Hunter

New to the site!
Reaction score
there will be a State match in Kellyville on march 25-27 I believe it is bout 20 miles west of OK City if I remember right been couple of years ago I shot there.I was going to shoot there this year but an African Safari is in the way a week later, I have been shooting Cowboy Fast Draw for about 13 years now and know a few that have done fast draw for over 50 years. for info on local clubs on OK go to Cowboy Fast Draw .com for all info about it or pm me or call 605-999-3539

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
there will be a State match in Kellyville on march 25-27 I believe it is bout 20 miles west of OK City if I remember right been couple of years ago I shot there.I was going to shoot there this year but an African Safari is in the way a week later, I have been shooting Cowboy Fast Draw for about 13 years now and know a few that have done fast draw for over 50 years. for info on local clubs on OK go to Cowboy Fast Draw .com for all info about it or pm me or call 605-999-3539
It's been a while but I believe Kellyville is a little southwest of Tulsa. :)

Johnny Mac

New to the site!
Reaction score
I am a member of Cowboy Fast Draw Association for three years now. The problem is I live in Woodward Oklahoma and the nearest club to me is 175 miles in Amarillo Texas. We do have two clubs in Oklahoma (Davis & Mansford). Would like to know if we were to get a club around here, how many would be interested?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uberti is your lowest cost, readily available option.

The '50s 60s German made single actions show up at gun shows, occasionally. Most have MANY rounds through them, but they were well built.
Sohm & sons, Hawes, J. P. Sauer are what I can remember, at the moment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom