Cowboy/western style fixed blades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My second knife would be a Hogue revolver type finger grip. Not really what you are after but it is my concept.
In case you aren't aware, Hogue is making knives now--they're the OEM for SIG's line of knives (I have one of their K320A autos). Funny thing; I'd been seeing them for a while, but never put the knives and grips together until the Knife Center had one of their execs on their YouTube channel at the Blade Show last year and he mentioned the grips...

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm also a fan of the Bowie style knives and have two on wooden display stands in sight of where I'm now sitting.

They are pre-Coleman Western W-49's with the original drop loop sheaths, one was made in 1977 and the other in 1981........the blades are 9 3/4" long, 2" wide with a total knife OAL of 14 3/4".

WBBdd.jpg

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That hambone is awesome. Both are super cool.

rick, have you seen the Bowie in the show Westworld?
I just watched the first episode. Are you talking about the Bowie the guy in black used? If so that is a little large for my taste. I prefer a 7 to 8 inch blade.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just watched the first episode. Are you talking about the Bowie the guy in black used? If so that is a little large for my taste. I prefer a 7 to 8 inch blade.
Yes. That one. It’s big and bad. Here’s a link to a guy making a copy of it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. That one. It’s big and bad. Here’s a link to a guy making a copy of it.

I have seen the really big Bowies thru the years, always thought they would make a good short sword. Not much good in a knife fight or for real use. 8 inch blade is about as big as I think is useful.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The handle is too round, bowie's made for fighting typically had coffin handles. Most of the techniques used for the bowie came out of New Orleans and evolved from Sabre techniques. By the time the bowie made it to the "west" they were used for more utilitarian purposes. Sheffield in England made them by the thousands for buffalo hunters in the U.S. Unfortunately, now most any fixed blade knife with a clip point is called bowie knife.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom