Cox Internet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for the resurrection.

It appears ATT is running fiber in our neighborhood. Right now they are zigzagging under the streets and coming up just inside everyone's front yard with conduit.

If you sign up do they run fiber to the house somehow or does this get switched over to copper? Do they trench back to wherever your old telephone box is? I'm trying to see how big the pain of installation might be.

I'm sick of the never ending price hikes from Cox and I'm hoping ATT fiber may be an option. Although this will violate my never ATT oath from 10-15 years ago when I bit on their Uverse option.
They run it to your house & drill thru the wall & install a wall Jack.
Doesn’t need the telephone or cable box. New router connects to the new wall Jack.

The router is the BGW 320-500 model

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

It appears ATT is running fiber in our neighborhood. Right now they are zigzagging under the streets and coming up just inside everyone's front yard with conduit.

If you sign up do they run fiber to the house somehow or does this get switched over to copper? Do they trench back to wherever your old telephone box is? I'm trying to see how big the pain of installation might be.

I'm sick of the never ending price hikes from Cox and I'm hoping ATT fiber may be an option. Although this will violate my never ATT oath from 10-15 years ago when I bit on their Uverse option.
I've had cox for over 45 years or longer. We cut them off for a year and went with DISH for TV but kept RiP off Cox for internet. Well, when you drop the TV, then you internet goes up. it was still a little cheaper. But then after a year, Dish went way up even though we had a two or three year contract we signed up with at COSTCO. So after the first year, Dish came up another $50 saying WE HAD TO BUNDLE on the 2nd year. I refused to pay only what I contracted for. And it took them three months to disconnect me, The they turned me over to collection for the three months I only paid ane the wanted that extra $150. NOPE.. ain't paying. Went back to COX and put up with all their reruns and lousey programming. Now Verizon has come out, but not in the area I live in. I think we are going to drop and just stream NetFlix, Hulu, and or Peacock. Heck I can get along with just YouTube to keep me entertained and educated!

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

it's a smaller cable than the RG6 Cox uses and they will run it up to the house, into the attic and down to wherever you want your modem/router. Pick someplace central for best WiFi.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Tanstaafl and I am addicted to cox internet. It has been over 23 years that I have had their service in Yukon Oklahoma and this monkey on my back followed me into NW OKC. Their service was excellent up until about 2019, but went downhill from there. In Yukon I had instances of throttling down to 20 mb/sec or slower during business hours. I moved in 2020 and currently have instances were for a half second service slows to 2 or 3 mb/sec from over 400 mb/sec. This happens almost daily. At least once per week I have some sort of an outage. AT&T will not be in my neighborhood anytime soon, and I suspect that cox's issues stem from old infrastructure. Other option I have is 5G internet, been exploring that but fear that it is two slow in my area to do what I need. "Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How's the quality? Any jitter latency issues?
Way better than Cox ever imagined being. Cox would go out for a few minutes to half a day. Hard to work from home with that, so switched to ATT fiber 2 years ago and never been happier. ATT hardly ever goes out, and when it has dropped off it's been a few seconds to a few minutes. I think it's been out a couple hours (2-3) maybe 3 times in 2 years.

They will put the outlet wherever you want it. Fiber to the house, copper from first box to modem.

Last edited:

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the AT&T fiber and I love it. If you had AT&T DSL you can get the 300Mbs for the same price.

I got rid of Cox several years ago and went to AT&T DirecTV streaming on a ROKU and never looked back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom