Cox is really getting annoying right now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So for the second day in a row it seems they are having issues... Yesterday they were having large amounts of packetloss for a large chunk of the day and I believe they did maintenance late Monday night because internet was completely off for a couple hours. It was working ok by around five pm yesterday but again today having a ton of packetloss.

packetloss.jpg

So anyway if it seems like the internet is acting up a lot and you are cox it probably is. I have actually tried multiple time to upload the simple little screenshot portion only to have it fail and had the same issue multiple times yesterday. Will upload it when I can but right now I am lucky to have this go through.

Edit: Finally was able to upload.

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My inbox got cleared out somehow and I lost some emails I wanted to hang onto. Got a work ticket pending on it now.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting. I don't use Cox's email servers since if I should happen to move that email could potentially be a liability or extra expense. The email address is free when you have cox internet but I have already dealt with changing from one ISP to another and losing email access. Just a little food for thought there. If you are going to use their email you may want to grab a desktop client so you can keep an offline copy of emails you want to save though. https://www.techradar.com/news/free-email-client is a list of some you could take a look at.

Anyway I suspect some upgrades were made late Monday night and there is something that was not configured correctly or isn't working the way it is supposed to. My packetloss right now is staying around at least 8 to 10 percent and spiking to over 30 percent from what my router is showing. Below 10 percent is basically considered online but will cause minor issues with apps that have problems with losing packets like games and VPN's. 10 to 20 percent in my router just shows packetloss and you can surf but will probably have to refresh some pages and games and VPN's are probably broken and uploading files will fail most of the time. Above 20 percent is considered offline in my router and basically the only thing you can do is surf a little bit if you are lucky but it will be a major PITA.

https://docs.opnsense.org/manual/gateways.html

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@NightShade, On a somewhat related note, do you have any idea why I get 2 emails EVERY SINGLE TIME I receive an email through Cox? I'm running the latest Office 365 for mac and using Outlook. I have it setup properly according to their support site and it does work. It's done this ever since I switched from AT&T to Cox and setup my Cox email account in Outlook. I drives me batty because I can't find anything as to why.

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We live in the urban core and I haven't seen anything on my end quite that bad recently. Maintaining 250mbps down when it's wide open across a wired gigabit network.

Im running ubiquiti gear for routing and APs and a 16 port POE Netgear switch. Modem is Netgear CM800. All backhauls and homeruns are cat6a.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@NightShade, On a somewhat related note, do you have any idea why I get 2 emails EVERY SINGLE TIME I receive an email through Cox? I'm running the latest Office 365 for mac and using Outlook. I have it setup properly according to their support site and it does work. It's done this ever since I switched from AT&T to Cox and setup my Cox email account in Outlook. I drives me batty because I can't find anything as to why.

More than likely the client you are using is leaving emails on the server. This is nice if you plan to check your email with another client but causes issues with outlook from what I have found. https://www.comentum.com/outlook-issues.html may help. If you REALLY need to check the emails in multiple places then create a rule in outlook that will delete the second one. Just google creating rules in outlook and do a test to make sure it is working.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've gotten away from ISP-based email. I use Proton Mail. You can use a free version or pay a small price each month for a paid version with enhanced features. They just doubled my storage for having been a paid user for the last few years--my storage went from 5 GB to 10 GB. It's also encrypted from end-to-end and I can access my email either by a web page or an app or my phone, with both syncing up perfectly.

Edit: Almost forgot--my main reason for going with Proton Mail is that no matter what ISP I may move to, my email will never change again (unless Proton Mail goes bust...)

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same, I use multiple email services and a lot of my email goes through my own domain and then bounces through a forwarder to what ever email service I want. I can also have direct access to my own email server if I should chose to do so. There is a huge boon with having your own domain names, believe me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom